Question

Honor Student
VBartilucci
Message 1 of 5 (315 Views)

Upgradng to 8GB RAM in m8430f - other settings change needed?

Trying to upgrade to 8GB on my m8430f, which should be permissible on a 64-Bit system, which mine is, running Win 7 Ultimate.

But the machine won't make it to the BIOS Screen with the new RAM.  It's absolutely compatible (PC2-6400U-666, same as the current 1GB sticks )but doesn't seem to read.  I get no beeps or audio errors, something I did get when I used incompatible RAM in an earlier attempt.

Is there some other setting in the BIOS, or God help me, in a dipswitch on the motherboard before it'll recognize the 2GB sticks?

As mentioned, running Win 7 Ultimate, 64-bit, with v 5.43 BIOS, the most up to date I could find.

Any guesses?

Intern
Xqzit
Message 2 of 5 (274 Views)

Re: Upgradng to 8GB RAM in m8430f - other settings change needed?

Hello VBartilucci,

Could you let me know the size of the new memory modules? Try installing one module and remove the original (old memory) and keep the other three slots empty. See if boots with the new memory and repeat the process with other new modules (if you have any).  Also let me know the memory specifications of the existing memory including the mfg part number. 

Best Regards,
John
VBartilucci
Message 3 of 5 (269 Views)

I thought I'd made that clear - 2GB, same specs as the original, save for the size: PC2-6400U-666

M378T5663ENH-CF7 1250

I've already tried one stick at a time as well, with no luck.  As I said, I get no warning tones, as I had another time where I'd used incompatible ram. 

Still not sure if there's some nebulous other something that needs doing before the larger ram is installed. 

Intern
Xqzit
Message 4 of 5 (238 Views)

Hello,

Remove the 2GB modules and install the 1GB modules. Now update your BIOS to the latest version. Click Here for latest BIOS!!!. You can find the instructions on the same page. After the BIOS update, try installing the 2GB modules it should probably work.

Best Regards,
John
VBartilucci
Message 5 of 5 (234 Views)

I think I mentioned, I'm already running a more recent update  -5.43, released on 2010-08-06, so that doesn't appear to be the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation