Question

Student
SomewatStodgie
Message 1 of 2 (100 Views)

Video Card Upgrade

A few questions on upgrades: First, can I upgrade the video card in my HP Pavillion P6000 series p6616f?  If so, can you sugest the best card I can install? Will I have to upgrade the power supply too? Also I believe it came with 6 gb's ddr3 ram. Can I upgrade that as well...and what is the maximum it will take?

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 2 of 2 (50 Views)

Re: Video Card Upgrade

Hello SomewatStodgie,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you are looking to do some upgrades on your HP Pavilion p6616f Desktop PC  and require assistance. I am providing you a couple HP Support documents below:Upgrading Memory (RAM)

Adding or Replacing an Expansion Card (Video Card, Sound Card, etc...) in HP and Compaq Desktop PCs

Replacing the Power Supply in HP and Compaq Desktop PCs

The above documents will assist you in the actual upgrade process when it comes time to actually do the upgrade.

Here is how it should work for your. First you will determine based on what games you play what the graphic card requirements are and then find a graphics card that meets those requirements. Once you have a graphics card chosen you need to determine the power requirements for the graphics card from it's specifications page. Your computer has a 250watt power supply so if the graphics card requirements more than that then you need to upgrade the power supply (document provided above). When getting a power supply I usually recommend that you get 50-100watts more than what your graphics card requires. So, if your graphics requires a 350watt power supply go for 400-450watts and you will be fine.

As for the memory upgrade the document I provided above should answer any question you have concerning what can be upgraded, how high you can go, and how to do the upgrade.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation