Question

Top Student
eokuma
Message 1 of 4 (1,714 Views)

Video Card for HP Pavillion a6720f

Hey all,

I understand that the nvidia geforce 9100 graphics card is integrated and actually isn't too good. I'm thinking of upgrading. Price range is max $150.

Btw, for installing a new video card, what do i need to do?

Eric 

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 4 (1,719 Views)

Re: Video Card for HP Pavillion a6720f

The determining factor of which video card that you can buy is the power supply unit (PSU).  The PSU in the computer is 300W.  You can find this information in the link titled 'Product Information' / 'Product Specifications'.  The average minimum wattage required for most mid-range cards, which is what you need to be better than the Intgrated Video, is 400W.  Therefore, unless you upgrade the PSU, upgrading the card will not give you much better performance.  The one advantage of having a standalone card is the video memory on it.  Also, it will free-up the system memory that is being shared.  I will provide a couple of links on Newegg to cards that will run with your current PSU.  You let us know what you want to do.  Here are the links:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130313

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143066

Both of the above cards say they require a minimum of 350W.  However, because the manufacturers normally overrate the power requirements of their cards, I believe they will work. 

Here is a link to the 'Support' page for your computer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3853840&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en〈=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20...

In the section titled 'Setup and install', click on the link 'Adding and Removing Hardware'.  The fourth item down is titled 'Adding or Replacing an Expansion Card (Video Card, Sound Card, etc.).  This section has very good instructions on installing a video card.  It even shows the difference in connectors for each type of card.  You can also click on links in the different sections to see more in-depth instructions for a particular function.

If you have further questions, let us know. 

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 4 (1,669 Views)

Thanks. So basically, my computer isn't compatible for a good graphics card. Is there a way to raise the power supply?
Student
Atg247
Message 4 of 4 (1,362 Views)

I got same desktop and I upgraded the graficard 2 a gts250 . U just nead 2 buy a new power suplly 500 watts + and look 4 pci-e x 16 thats all now I play crysis on max
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation