Re: Want to upgrade to a bigger hard drive - compaq presario FR429AA (98 Views)
Honor Student
WADEALO
Message 1 of 5 (158 Views)
Accepted Solution

Want to upgrade to a bigger hard drive - compaq presario FR429AA

I have a compaq presario FR429AA and the device manager in Windows 7 tellsme I have a WDC WD32 00AAJS-65B4A SCSI Disk Device as my internal hard drive. This is 320Gig but I want to put in a 2or 3TB internal drive to run as the primary drive with the operating system on and keep the old drive as extra storage space.

I have heard of IDE, PATA and SATA devices, but I'mnot sure about SCSI drives for the PC's main hard drive.  Can I simply go with a SATA drive? Or do I specifically tolook for a SCSI for this PC?

Thanks    

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 5 (141 Views)

Re: Want to upgrade to a bigger hard drive - compaq presario FR429AA

Wadealo, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  Scroll down the section titled "Hard drive".  This is what it shows:

Figure 3: Hard drive
Image of hard drive
  • Size: 320 GB
  • Interface: SATA
  • Transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec
  • Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM

As you can see, the drive is SATA.  The largest drive that you can install is 2 TiB.

The SCSI (prn. Skuzzy) drives are mainly used in servers.

Please click "KUDOS" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 5 (139 Views)

[ Edited ]

The circa 2008 Compaq SR5605UK initially come with Win VIsta OS. You are restricted to a 2GB hard drive. I could explain it, but it's not a debatable point, so why bother confusing you.  Forget the SCSI reference, it's a hold-over. Actual specs are: Size: 320 GB, Interface: SATA,  Transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec, Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM. The buffer cache is 32MB. The drives has a 512-byte sector. You will have difficulty with this issue.  Newer drives are AF 4096-byte sector.

As you upgraded from Vista to WIn7, your Recovery partition and any created Recovery DVD's will not work with AF drives, see here. Also, any crash (total)  would force you to re-install Vista, then upgrade back to WIn7.

When you report back, let's discuss your plan.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB WIN7-64bit
Custom Asus P8P67 board, I7-2600k, WIN7 Pro 64bit, GTX670 2GB, 16GB RAM, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W
HP m8100eCTO WIN7 Ultimate 32bit. XFX5670 1GB, Rosewill 530W.
Printer -- OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus, HP Deskjet F4135

Honor Student
WADEALO
Message 4 of 5 (113 Views)

Thanks for the prompt responses.

2TB is fine, but is this a limit on just the operating system hard drive? Since it is still working, I would quite like to keep the old drive as a secondary to have a bit more space.

If I install a newer AF drive, perform a full, direct Windows 7 re-install (rather than an upgrade) and then create a disk image (I have Acronis Back up software) would this avoid the issues outlined?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 5 of 5 (98 Views)

[ Edited ]

The 2 TiB limit is due to the OS.  However, that is for one drive.  You can install multiple drives up to, I believe, 256 TiB on the system.  Using the old drive will create no problems.

I suggest doing a System Recovery using the Recovery Discs.  This will save possible problems that can occur.  Here is a guide to help you.  Also, here is a guide to help you upgrade from Vista to Win 7.

I have never used Acronis Backup.  Therefore, I am not certain if your suggestion will work properly.  HP motherboards are tatooed with the major components of the computer.  If the motherboard doesn't detect these components it will not do an install using the Recovery Discs.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!