Question

Top Student
leslieplomondon
Message 1 of 6 (140 Views)

What drivers do I need to uninstall on Pavilion Elite Desktop PC to replace my broken graphic board?

Hi Everyone, 

My graphics board just broke on my Pavilion Elite Desktop PC. I understand I need to uninstall its drivers before I install a new graphics board. 

I found four files that contain the word "Driver" in the title, but I'm not sure which one, if any, I need to uninstall. Their names are as follows: 

Windows Driver Package - NVIDIA 

Windows Driver Package - Ralink Technology, Corp

Windows Driver Package - Realtek (RTL8169) Net

Windows Driver Package - Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 

Can someone please advise me if these are the correct drivers to uninstall? If not, can you tell me the titles of the correct ones? 

I'm not very technical, so I really appreciate your expertise. 

With warm regards,

Leslie 

Grad Student
MikeTechMan
Message 2 of 6 (128 Views)

Re: What drivers do I need to uninstall on Pavilion Elite Desktop PC to replace my broken graphic bo

Hello leslieplomondon, welcome. Are you using integrated graphics?

What is the make and model of your computer?

Let us know,

Thanks!

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 3 of 6 (121 Views)

Re: What drivers do I need to uninstall on Pavilion Elite Desktop PC to replace my broken graphic bo

Without knowing the model and/or product number of your computer, I can only guess as to which driver is associated with your graphics sub-system. So, by eliminating those drivers that clearly belong to a different sub-system we can guess which driver you want to remove.

Wireless 802.11 b/g/n adapter = Windows Driver Package - Ralink Technology, Corp

Wired 10/100 ethernet adapter = Windows Driver Package - Realtek (RTL8169) Net

HD Audio codec = Windows Driver Package - Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Most likely the graphics driver = Windows Driver Package - NVIDIA but could also be the chipset driver.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Top Student
leslieplomondon
Message 4 of 6 (120 Views)

Hi Responder! 

Thank you for trying to help me. 

I have an HP Desktop PC, HP Pavilion Elite, with model number M9450F.  

I just use it for ordinary home use, and don't do anything terrible special with it. 

Please advise as to which drivers I should uninstall before replacing with new graphics card. 

Thanks!

Leslie 

Top Student
leslieplomondon
Message 5 of 6 (119 Views)

Dear Respondent,

Thank you for trying to help me.  Let me give you my product and model number now to make it easier. 

I have an HP Pavilion Elite, Desktop PC. 

Its model number is: M9450F

Its product number is: FK789AA#-ABA

My computer's graphic card broke, and I understand I need to uninstall its drivers before replacing the new graphic card. My problem is that I'm not sure which drivers are the correct ones to uninstall.  The titles I've found with the word "Driver" in them are as follows: 

Windows Driver Package - INVIDIA

Windows Driver Package - Ralink Technology, Corp

Windows Driver Package - Realtek (RTL8169O)

Windows Driver Package - Realtek Semiconductor Corp

I'm not very technical and am worried I will uninstall the wrong file, thereby creating even more difficulties. I can't begin to express how much I appreciate your expertise and kindness in trying to help me. 

Please advise,

Leslie 

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 6 of 6 (116 Views)

Again, as I stated in my previous post... Most likely candidate for graphics driver =  Windows Driver Package - NVIDIA... and per your computer's specs;

Video Graphics

NVidia GeForce 9800 GT

512 MB GDDR3 memory

I/O Ports: 2 DVI (both can function as single-link or dual-link), HDMI connection through adapter cable, VGA connection through adapter cable

Go ahead and uninstall the Window Driver Package - NVIDIA as it is your graphics card driver package.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation