Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Here is my system:

1.  Product name:   Compaq Presario CQ5202SC  desktop
      Product number:   VS250AA  
      Release date:  14-Oct-2009      (Sold in Scandinavia)

2.  Operating System installed:    Windows Home Premium Edition (64bit)      (Version number 7600, DirectX-

version  11)

3.  Error messages:   Not applicable

4.  Any changes made to the system: Don't know of any changes except adding programs and updates. I have

bought the system second hand. One owner.

The system has 3 GB of RAM at the moment. I think it is the  original memory and consists of:

•     2GB DDR3-SDRAM (1333 MHz) from Samsung 2009.  Partnumber: M378B5673EH1-CH9
  •     1GB DDR3-SDRAM (1333 MHz) from Micron Technology 2009. Partnumber: 8JTF1286AZ-1G4F1

The BIOS version is  5.11

Motherboard: M2N68-LA (Narra 6)

• Manufacturer's Motherboard name: Pegatron M2N68-LA
  • HP/Compaq name: Narra6-GL6

Front side bus speed:

• 2000MT/s  (2.0 GT/s)

Memory upgrade info below is cut and pasted from the  Narra 6 specifications:

--- BEGINNING OF CUT AND PASTE SECTION ---

•     Dual channel memory architecture
  •     Two DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
  •     Supported DIMM types:

PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)

PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)

•      Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered

•      Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs

•      Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs   

*32-bit operating systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

--- END OF CUT AND PASTE SECTION ---

What puzzles me with the memory upgrade info above is the bit about "Supports up to 4 GB on 32 bit PCs".

Is my system a 32 bit PC or a 64 bit PC ?

Since I have a 64-bit operating  system it seems I should be able to address a full 4 GB of memory (and much, much more for that matter).  But maybe  the system can only  handle a maximum of 4 GB anyhow. I am hoping for 8 GB and thinking of getting two 4 GB RAMS (preferably  with identical partnumbers) and replacing the two that are installed.

I cannot from the motherboard info or any other info on the system tell how much memory my system can handle. I haven't seen any answer to it in this forum either so can someone tell for sure what the max is?

Also if 4 GB is the max, I'd really appreciate it if someone can explain why the system cannot handle more.

Regards

Orvar

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

PCs are not 32 or 64-bit. It is the installed operating system that is 32-bit or 64-bit. The maximum memory that is recommended is 4 GB. Only purchase guaranteed compatible  memory modules from a well know memory maker. 

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

Maximum memory capacity is 4 GB. Replace the 1 GB module with a 2 GB.

Click here for the upgrade link

HP Recommended

From your post above;

"System has 'Two DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets' and 'Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs'"

and

"I cannot from the motherboard info or any other info on the system tell how much memory my system can handle. I haven't seen any answer to it in this forum either so can someone tell for sure what the max is?"

From the motherboard information listed in your post and reiterated above, the system has 2 DIMM sockets and each socket supports up to a 2GB DIMM.... 2 X 2GB = 4GB max.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hello orvar,

to try and address your question:

"Also if 4 GB is the max, I'd really appreciate it if someone can explain why the system cannot handle more."

This is  normally limited by the Bios  and/or motherboard chipset.

-DQL

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Sorry for the late response to this thread but I just upgraded my friends Compaq Presario CQ5250SC from 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR3 memory to 8GB (4x2GB) of DDR3 memory without issue running Windows 7 Pro.  I also upgraded his PC to Windows 10 and it ran fine on this motherboard setup.  I also put in a Phenom ][ X4 B93 and will now look to see if this processor can be upgraded further to a 125W model.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.