Question

Student
Pavilion_a1000y
Message 1 of 4 (295 Views)
Accepted Solution

What type of Video card can I buy to upgrade a pavilion a1000y? What are the specifications?

I upgraded my desktop HP Pavilion a1000y to Win7, and the Monitor y VGA default. teh resolution is not good for the wide screen I use. I'm trying to find the specifications of the PCI slot and/or specifications of a video card I can add to upgrade the monitor video and not get distorted image.

I don't eve know if this model can use a video card, since it already come with video included in the mother board, if this make sense.

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

AB 

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (266 Views)

Re: What type of Video card can I buy to upgrade a pavilion a1000y? What are the specifications?

The motherboard for your PC has  PCI slots. that means you will need a PCI video card and not one of the current generation  PCI Express x16 video cards.

This webage at NewEgg shows the type of card you need. I recommend that you do no not try a card with more than 512MB of video RAM. 

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
BADTIGERKAW
Message 3 of 4 (112 Views)

Re: What type of Video card can I buy to upgrade a pavilion a1000y? What are the specifications?

THE NUMBERS ARE CONFUSING. CAN YOU CLARIFY IF THE HP A 1000Y CAN SUPPORT A VIDEO CARD PURCHASED FROM A RETAILER, THAT IS "GPU : GeForce 6xxx or ATI Radeon 9xxx and up with OpenGL 2.1 Support (Excluding Integrated Chipsets)"

I AM TRYING TO ALLOW MY KIDS TO PLAY MINECRAFT ON A PAVILLION I PICKED UP THAT I COULD AFFORD. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT VIDEO CARD I WOULD NEED TO BUY TO MAKE IT WORK, AND IF THE PAVILLION CAN EVEN SUPPORT MINECRAFT?? 

THANK YOU 

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 4 of 4 (96 Views)

The there are 3 version of the "HP A 1000Y". What is the model number of your computer?
My daughters love Minecraft. At the very least Minecraft should run with your on board video at it the game's lowest settings.

How to find your model number:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07555

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation