Question

Tutor
im1knight
Message 1 of 7 (5,927 Views)

What type of motherboard does HP pavilion m9150F have?

[ Edited ]

Well..i'm looking to upgrade my video card and power supply for my computer, and i've heard that HP cases do not vent very well. So i decided ill just go grab another case...Well, selecting a case is easy, but i'm not exactly sure if HP actually used a standard ATX motherboard in this computer. Can anyone confirm that for me?

the case i'm looking at support both Extended ATX and standard ATX, i don't think it's extended...so is the motherboard included standard ATX? Cuz on the picture, i can see that the holes for the I/O port on the back of the case does not match up with the on the back of mine...

this is the case i'm looking at btw

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138

I know it's sort of useless for now, but next year i'll build a gaming computer, and i won't have to buy another case next year. 

Message Edited by im1knight on 06-19-2009 02:42 PM
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 2 of 7 (5,923 Views)

Re: What type of motherboard does HP pavilion m9150F have?

It is a:

Motherboard
  • Manufacturer: Asus
  • Motherboard Name: IPIBL-LB
  • HP/Compaq motherboard name: Benicia-GL8E

It's a Micro ATX motherboard. Smaller than ATX a bit.

More info here.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01324212

Either way I believe it will fit in that nice Cosmos case you're buying. I got myself a full tower (NZXT Zero 2) and it fit the micro atx motherboard than came with my Hp pc (m8150y i believe it was) but later decided to buy my seperate motherboard, ram and power supply.

My case doesn't fit an extended atx motherboard though, so good choice on that Cosmos. You'll like it for sure and has good reviews.

Just like my case, the Cosmos will have holes that fit all kinds of motherboards as well as raisers so you just match the holes. And don't forget the i/o shield plate. I use the hp shield plate for the back ports because for some reason the one that came with my new motherboard doesn't match holes and it's off center by a bit.

Tutor
im1knight
Message 3 of 7 (5,917 Views)

ok i got the answer from its offical FAQ

http://www.coolermaster.com/support/faq-2.php?language=en&fid=1929

looks like it's gonna fit:smileyhappy:

TY

Btw, is there aby chance that ASUS might offer Bios download for this motherboard so i can overclock the Q6600 a bit?

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 4 of 7 (5,915 Views)

As far as I know all Hp pcs have they're BIOS locked so you can't overclock unless 1) you flash the motherboard with an Asus bios (really risky and cant render the motherboar useless so i didn't takr this chance) and 2) if you buy your own motherboard.

I bought my own motherboard (Asrock branded, never get this brand) and I'm having issues with unstable overclocks at higher than stock speed. In other words I should of kept my original hp motherboard and don't worry about overclocking my q6600 (yes I have one also).

I've been doing research and trying to stay stable at 3.0-3.4 for like a month now and I gave up and i'm saying at stock speed 2.4Ghz and everything runs fine (no blue screens or freezes).

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 5 of 7 (5,913 Views)

Need to have the right MB and RAM to overclock.  Asrock is usually cheap low-end MB.  A decent Gigabyte 775 board is need to handle that 65nm quad.  Use 1:1 memory divider with JEDEC DDR2 800 RAM.  Easy 3.2GHz with a 5-10% boost in Vcore.  May also need to tweak VTT and VNB.

The Q9400/Q9550 are available today for $160.  These newer 45nm chips are much easier to overclock.  You will still need a good CPU cooler like the Sigmatek 1283 or the Sunbeam direct contact with four heat-pipe to keep core load temp under 65C.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

Tutor
im1knight
Message 6 of 7 (5,893 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, i tried overclock with Clockgen, and i managed to get it to 2.6 Ghz stable( I don't wanna go higher since HP came with stock cooler...) however when im playing games, i actually see performance decrease...idk why is that happening. And appearantly i can't overclock my RAM. So i guess i might just give up on that...

And one more question, Will this motherboard be able to handle a 3rd hard drive? Not sure if a micro ATX is designed for this, but i'm just wondering. If it does support another internal hard drive, it will make life so much easier for me. Since the seagate ones came with it only have 8MB cache, and both of the 360GB hard drive are almost full. I'm thinking of adding a 1TB 32MB cache 7200rpm hard drive in to run my OS and games, while the original hard drives will be used for storing datas.  Will this work? I know this is kinda getting off topic a bit, but i'm just wondering. 

and... can this board handle a GTS 250? Not exactly sure if the PCI-E x16 slot is build strong enough to carry a double slot card...I don't want it to break >.<
Message Edited by im1knight on 06-20-2009 03:31 PM
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 7 of 7 (5,882 Views)

Look for a free SATA or PATA port if you want to add a 3rd drive. 

Noobs think that bumping up the FSB is all that's needed to overclock a quad.  Key factors are cooling to the PWM circuits and stability of the FSB.  A bump of 100-200MHz is noise for the modern processor.  Most HP boards are designed with the absolute minimum electronics to run the said CPU.  Saving a few pennies is a big deal to these box-makers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation