Which PCI slot should I use to install PCI wireless card (10503 Views)
Tutor
calvert48
Message 1 of 14 (10,503 Views)
Accepted Solution

Which PCI slot should I use to install PCI wireless card

I have a Compaq Presario CQ5210F desk top. I am adding a Sabrent PCI-G802-PCI wireless card-54Mbs,802.11g. I have read all the how to info pages and am good that way. The unit has 1 PCI Express x16 & 2 PCI Express x1 slots. Which slot is OK for this unit and where is it located or how do I make sure I am using the correct slot?

None of the how to information speaks about this and I do not want to gamble and fry my computer.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 14 (10,460 Views)

Re: Which PCI slot should I use to install PCI wireless card

[ Edited ]

Hi:

If you know those are the only available slots in your PC, the PCI wireless adapter you have will not fit in any of those slots.

If you want an internal network adapter vice an external USB network adapter you will need to purchase a PCIe x1 wireless network adapter.

However, when I look at your model's motherboard specs and diagram, I do see one available PCI slot which would be the one you would install your PCI wireless card in (the white slot on the bottom of the picture).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01701270&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

Paul

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 3 of 14 (10,459 Views)

[ Edited ]

calvert48 wrote: I have a Compaq Presario CQ5210F desk top. I am adding a Sabrent PCI-G802-PCI wireless card-54Mbs,802.11g. I have read all the how to info pages and am good that way. The unit has 1 PCI Express x16 & 2 PCI Express x1 slots. Which slot is OK for this unit and where is it located or how do I make sure I am using the correct slot?

None of the how to information speaks about this and I do not want to gamble and fry my computer.

Hello calvert48, Here  is a link for the specifications for your motherboard. It shows you hav two PCIe x1 slots and one PCI slot.

I would suggest locating a PCIe x1 wirelss card to install in one of the existing slot.

You may want to check that there is not other cards inserted in these slots that would prevent adding another PCIe x1 slot.

If there is no card in the PCI slot, you could use a PCI card, but the PCIe x1 would support better throughput for the system than the PCI version.

Here  is a link that shows the Sabrent PCI-G802-PCI wireless card at a very good price. It is a "G" version device.

Here  is a link that shows an Asus N wireless adapter, but the cost is a little more expensive. Look at the 555 reviews for this Asus wireless adapter.

You might want to take a look at some of the "N" version cards, as they would support better performance, but at a slightly higher cost.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Tutor
calvert48
Message 4 of 14 (10,447 Views)

Thank you for your rapid response.It is much appreciated. I provided incorrect information about PCI slots available. According to the specs I have there PCI slots available  are as follows:

(`1/1) PCI

(1/2) PCI Express x1

(1/1) PCI Express x16

Is the Sabrent PCI G802- wireless Card-54Mbs,802.11g still not acceptable or will it work in the PCI (first of the 3 PCI slots listed above).

Further, you appear to be an expert so may I ask you to tell me what the other 2 PCI can be used for. I am also looking to expand memory but that is for another day.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 14 (10,441 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Yes, the wireless card gets installed in the top one you listed. The white PCI slot.

It would be physically impossible for you to install your card in the black PCIe x1  or x16 slots.

Memory is installed in those blue holders pictured on the upper right of the diagram.

You can install a maximum of two 2 GB PC2-6400 memory modules in your computer.

You can install a supported discrete video adapter in the PCIE x16 slot and various other devices in the PCIe x1 slots such as an audio card.

Paul

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 6 of 14 (10,435 Views)

[ Edited ]

calvert48 wrote: Thank you for your rapid response.It is much appreciated. I provided incorrect information about PCI slots available. According to the specs I have there PCI slots available  are as follows:

(`1/1) PCI

(1/2) PCI Express x1

(1/1) PCI Express x16

Is the Sabrent PCI G802- wireless Card-54Mbs,802.11g still not acceptable or will it work in the PCI (first of the 3 PCI slots listed above).Further, you appear to be an expert so may I ask you to tell me what the other 2 PCI can be used for. I am also looking to expand memory but that is for another day.

Hello calvert48, I am in no way an expert. Paul_Tikkanen  is the expert on matters of this nature, and all things related to computers.

You are correct about the PCI slots on your motherboard. The longer slot is for a PCIe x16 video card. The two smaller (black) slots are for PCIe x1 hardware devices, such as network cards, both wired and wireless, audio cards, some TV cards ,and other such hardware devices.

The PCI (white) slot is for older versions of the PCI technology. The Sabrent wireless PCI card should install nicely in this slot if there are no other devices in the slot, or in the system that would prevent the Sabrent card from being installed.

The PCI Sabrent card is a "G" version, which means it operates at a lesser speed than the newer "N" version, that operates at twice the speed and range of the "G" version.

Usually, all the different versions are backward compatible, which simply means that a B, G, or N, version would be compatible with a B, G, or N router and connect, but just at the speed and range of the wireless router.

If you will not be a great distance from the router, the "G" version should work well, but if your distance from the wireless router is around 100 feet of more, the "G: version wireless card will not work as well as an "N" version, although it may still work.

I hope this is no too confusing.

Tutor
calvert48
Message 7 of 14 (10,432 Views)

Thank you very much.Your help is sincerely appreciated.

By your last response I can safely assume the Sabrent Wireless adapter I noted is OK to use. If not please let me know otherwise I am good to go and really appreicate your help.

Best regards,

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 8 of 14 (10,423 Views)

calvert48 wrote: Thank you very much.Your help is sincerely appreciated. By your last response I can safely assume the Sabrent Wireless adapter I noted is OK to use. If not please let me know otherwise I am good to go and really appreicate your help. Best regards,

Hello calvert48, Yes, the Sabrent Wireless adapter should work just fine installed in the PCI (white) slot.

Can you advise the Brand and Model of the Wireless Router you will be connecting to?

Tutor
calvert48
Message 9 of 14 (10,420 Views)

Thank you. Your comments are noted and I sincerely appreciate the help. All is clear now fro me to proceed.

Best reagrds,

Tutor
calvert48
Message 10 of 14 (10,415 Views)

The router is a Bell Sympatico 2 wire Gateway (www.2wire.com). It works quite well . Is this an issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation