Question

Intern
Mark_Bell
Message 1 of 8 (309 Views)
Accepted Solution

Which RAM upgrade for HPE-350t; 2GB or 4GB DIMM?

I am currently running an HPE-350t with 6GB of RAM (3x2GB) with one available 240-pin DIMM slot. I am considering adding either one 2GB DIMM of RAM or one 4GB DIMM in the open slot. My vendor of choice for the DIMM suggests an OEM part of only 2GB of RAM versus the 4GB option to guarantee compatibility. However, I would like to pop in a 4GB RAM DIMM if , and only if, my computer would be faster and more efficient than adding only a 2GB DIMM with no compatibility issues. Note: I do not know why my vendor does not list an OEM part 4GB DIMM for the HPE-350t, but apparently it does not. (That model supports up to 16GB of RAM configured as 4x4GB DIMMS, so an OEM 4GB DIMM must be available somewhere.) However, the vendor does list a comparable 4GB part that it lists as a PC3-10666 DDR3-1333Mhz 240-pin DIMM that I believe might work quite well. 

Would a matching 2GB DIMM module added to slot #4 cause DIMM slots #3-4 to work in dual mode? If so, would that give me greater efficiency than adding 4GB? I wouldn't mind saving a buck, but if 4GB would give me more operating power than the 2GB, I am willing to spend the extra cash. Otherwise, I guess just a 2GB increase would be O.K., especially if it would cause DIMM slots #3-4 to work in dual mode and increase my system performance equal to, comparable with, or greater than the 4GB upgrade option thereby saving me money (and the possible headache of the added 4GB of RAM not working for some reason as it would not be a matching pair to the 2GB DIMM in slot #3.)

FYI, I am currently running:

HP name: Iona-GL8E Motherboard with PC3-10600 DDR3-1333Mhz RAM, (16GB Max. Memory of 4x4GB)

Intel Core-i7-860 Quad-core CPU

WIndows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS (Supports up to 16GB of RAM)

BTW, my vendor of choice identified the RAM I need as PC3-10666 versus the PC3-10600 listed on my computer's packing slip and the HP motherboard specifications page. Do I need to be concerned about that? Is that a typo, or are they compatible? If not, which online vendor would you suggest for a fully compatible part?

Any advice would be grealty appreciated.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 8 (296 Views)

Re: Which RAM upgrade for HPE-350t; 2GB or 4GB DIMM?

Mark_Bell wrote:

I am currently running an HPE-350t with 6GB of RAM (3x2GB) with one available 240-pin DIMM slot. I am considering adding either one 2GB DIMM of RAM or one 4GB DIMM in the open slot. My vendor of choice for the DIMM suggests an OEM part of only 2GB of RAM versus the 4GB option to guarantee compatibility. Your vendor is correct However, I would like to pop in a 4GB RAM DIMM if , and only if, my computer would be faster and more efficient than adding only a 2GB DIMM with no compatibility issues. Note: I do not know why my vendor does not list an OEM part 4GB DIMM for the HPE-350t, but apparently it does not. (That model supports up to 16GB of RAM configured as 4x4GB DIMMS, so an OEM 4GB DIMM must be available somewhere.) However, the vendor does list a comparable 4GB part that it lists as a PC3-10666 DDR3-1333Mhz 240-pin DIMM that I believe might work quite well. 

Would a matching 2GB DIMM module added to slot #4 cause DIMM slots #3-4 to work in dual mode? If so, would that give me greater efficiency than adding 4GB? I wouldn't mind saving a buck, but if 4GB would give me more operating power than the 2GB, I am willing to spend the extra cash. Otherwise, I guess just a 2GB increase would be O.K., especially if it would cause DIMM slots #3-4 to work in dual mode and increase my system performance equal to, comparable with, or greater than the 4GB upgrade option thereby saving me money (and the possible headache of the added 4GB of RAM not working for some reason as it would not be a matching pair to the 2GB DIMM in slot #3.)

FYI, I am currently running:

HP name: Iona-GL8E Motherboard with PC3-10600 DDR3-1333Mhz RAM, (16GB Max. Memory of 4x4GB)

Intel Core-i7-860 Quad-core CPU

WIndows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS (Supports up to 16GB of RAM)

BTW, my vendor of choice identified the RAM I need as PC3-10666 versus the PC3-10600 listed on my computer's packing slip and the HP motherboard specifications page. Do I need to be concerned about that? Is that a typo, or are they compatible? If not, which online vendor would you suggest for a fully compatible part?

Any advice would be grealty appreciated.

Always install identical memory modules in pairs if you want to take advantage of the best memory access mode your PC is capable of.

You would be better off pulling all original three modules out and replacing them with two identical guaranteed compatible 4GB memory modules. 

Only use guaranteed compatible memory modules if you don't want any nasty surprises like your PC not even booting to the BIOS post.

I do recommend using the available  PCI Express x16 slot for an upgrade video card. That way the integrated video won't be used. Integrated vide does use some of the physical memory that is installed.  if you are considering doing this then post back in another thread after you have marked this one is solved.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
Mark_Bell
Message 3 of 8 (290 Views)

[ Edited ]

Quote: "You would be better off pulling all original three modules out and replacing them with two identical guaranteed compatible 4GB memory modules."

I just got done looking at another vendor that sells 4GB DIMMS in pairs that are guaranteed compatible with my system (but for a higher price). I wonder, however, why you suggest pulling all 3 of my 2GB DIMMS instead of just 1. Couldn't I run 2 pair of 4GB DIMMS and 2 pair of 2GB DIMMS for a total of 12GB rather than just the 2 pair of 4GB for a total of 8GB? There are 4 DIMM slots, after all. That way I'd only have to chuck one 2GB DIMM and I'd have a total of 12GB instead of 8. Would that work, or do all the DIMMS need the same identical RAM modules? 

To reiterate, I'm thinking of 2 4GB pair in slots 1&2 and 2 2GB pair in slots 3&4 for a total of 12GB. Are there any technical reasons why that wouldn't work?

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 8 (274 Views)

[ Edited ]

Because matching all of the memory modules allows more efficient use of the motherboard's memory management capability.  

HP used three modules after extensive laboratory testing and deep pockets. The use of three modules does not allow for dual channel memory management. That was HP's configuration choice. The way you choose to do it is up to you. 

Mixing and matching memory modules is always a "maybe". It may work and then again it may not. What I have suggested is a manner that works without the maybe.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Intern
Mark_Bell
Message 5 of 8 (260 Views)

Quote: "What I have suggested is a manner that works without the maybe."

I appreciate your input. But what I'll probably do is just add a 2GB DIMM module in the empty slot. That would bring me up to 8GB total, the same as if I pulled the 3x2GB DIMM's and added 2x4GB. That way they would all be compatible (I believe) and would allow for dual channel memory management. Plus, it would save me about $60 in hardware costs for the same overall processing power. 2x4GB DIMM's run about $70-90 total while I can pick up what I believe to be a fully compatible (will try to confirm that with the vendor before I purchase) single 2GB DIMM for around $15 to fill the 4th slot allowing dual channel memory management between slots 3&4 as well as 1&2.

At least, I think that's right.

If anybody else has another solution or some information to add, my ears are still open, but I'm going to declare this little problem solved (for just $15). If, in the future, I find that my RAM is still inadequate, I might dump all my soon-to-be 4x2GB DIMM's and replace them with 4x4GB's for 16GB total, but that would cost $150-160. I'm not ready to swallow that pill yet.

Thanks for your help.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 8 (246 Views)

I don't think you really understood what I said. 

Do be aware that when you add the 2GB memory module that if it is not identical in all respects to the other three modules you desktop Pc is unlikely to boot into  Windows. That is the most critical thing of all to pay attention to if you don't like memory upgrade disappointments.

Good luck.

Intern
Mark_Bell
Message 7 of 8 (237 Views)

O.K. This thread isn't solved just yet....:smileyhappy:

Yeah, I read the thread (once again) last night of upgrading RAM by another HP expert, and he too suggested that the DDR3 RAM should be made by the same manufacturer (with the same exact part number) to ensure compatibility. That is something I hadn't counted on since findng new RAM made by the same manufacturer for a three-year-old computer is a challenging (probably impossible) task.

I have added RAM before to another PC (not HP brand) without matching brands and part numbers but the other specs and didn't encounter any problems. Maybe I was just lucky, I guess.

That said, your info has thrown a wrinkle into my plans. I really don't want to spend $70-90 just to get 2GB more RAM than I have now even with the added dual channel memory management and consequential (rather small?) boost in performance. I would almost rather spend around $160 and upgrade to the full 16GB of RAM my system can handle with 4x4GB DIMM's filling all the slots.

I guess I have a hard choice to make. I was looking for the easy (and cheaper) way out, but I guess that isn't possible in this situation. 

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for your help.

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 8 (231 Views)

You are quite welcome  :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation