Question

Top Student
Darrylop
Message 1 of 15 (1,691 Views)

Will this motherboard fit in my HP Pavilion m8400f?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131330

I recently got a GTX 260 and a 550 watt power supply, and they installed perfectly fine. The only problem was my card was so big, it covered 3 out of my four SATA plugs, therefore, disabling my CD drive and second Hard Drive. I've been doing research, and this looks like this was the only motherboard that would fit in without any complications. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be any surprises if I purchased it.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 15 (1,674 Views)

Re: Will this motherboard fit in my HP Pavilion m8400f?

[ Edited ]

There's still lots of issues.

1. The motherboard will not be tattoed to accept the recovery discs. = new OS

2. Now the sata ports are clear but the copper heat sink is going to come in contact with the gfx card.

3. It will probably contact the capcitors you see sticking up and that will cause a short and can fry the motherboard.

4. There are other single slot cards that will perform as well or better than that card.

5. Keep the PSU and buy a card that will work.

6. If my answers are not sufficient, please ask more questions.

Also see:

Most Double Width Video Cards.
Use this for a little help.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Monitor&message.id=1517&query.id=73756#M1517

If at first you don't succeed,
Well,
So much for sky diving.

Message Edited by dmhoo29 on 07-06-2009 11:08 PM
Top Student
Darrylop
Message 3 of 15 (1,667 Views)

Well, the card is in a nice plastic coating, so it wouldn't overheat any capacitors, currently, the card is over a heatseank and I would still use my same Hard Drives. There were 4 other mobo's I was looking at, and wondered if those would work either.
Professor
1badGuard
Message 4 of 15 (1,666 Views)

It's your choice. I really think the gfx card is no better than single slot cards. The case cooling will decide how cool the gfx card stays. The fan on the card is to cool the chip on the card but you still have heat inside the case that affects the whole system. Most buy these cards because they look cool. You can't see it once you close the case.

Remember, if you buy another motherboard the bios will not accept the recovery discs and you'll have to buy another operating system.

Top Student
Darrylop
Message 5 of 15 (1,655 Views)

Are you seriously comparing a GTX 260 to an 8500 GT? Anyway, the cooling is fine.

What do you mean the bios wont accept recovery discs? Im just going to use my old harddrives.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 6 of 15 (1,654 Views)

Not even. Maybe the ZOTAC ZT-98GEY3P-FSR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB allows more space or ATI cards.

You cannot just install a new motherboard and think thr operating system on the hard drives will automatically work.(They Will not) You will need to have the bios chip tattoed or buy another retail copy of an operating system.

Top Student
Darrylop
Message 7 of 15 (1,649 Views)

Well, I'm definantly not going to trade down my card. Is there anywhere I can read up on installing a new motherboard?
Professor
1badGuard
Message 8 of 15 (1,643 Views)

[ Edited ]

Google.

It just has to be the same size and check to make sure it has the needed headers that will connect to the wires in the case. Some wires may not have the same type plugs. You may as well just buy a new case and just transfer it all to the new one. Once you install the other motherboard it will no longer be an HP anyway.

Since the operating system that came with your computer will not work, you should buy a retail copy of an OS.

Please understand I have had years of experience working on computers and you will find it's not going to cheap when you go this route. Goodluck in your ventures.

P.S. that card is just a second hand GTX-280. It just did not pass the quality test to be a GTX-280

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_280_us.html

Review of the GTX-260

Nvidia's new entry is a strange animal with a strange name. The original GeForce GTX 260 is a product with the same 1.4 billion transistor monster GPU found in the GeForce GTX 280, only with some of the functional blocks disabled. Call it a "salvage part" if you will, enabling Nvidia to use some of the chips that come off the line not fully functional in a lower-performing, less expensive part.

Message Edited by dmhoo29 on 07-07-2009 05:11 AM
Top Student
Darrylop
Message 9 of 15 (1,638 Views)

Ok, I have a new idea. I have an RC of Windows 7. If I installed that on my second drive, then moved my first drive back into its place, would Vista still work, even though its OEM?
Professor
1badGuard
Message 10 of 15 (1,631 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not with the new motherboard.

This may help you understand what's involved.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3352/HPTZ-tattooing-motherboard-handout 

Message Edited by dmhoo29 on 07-07-2009 06:26 AM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation