Question

Teacher
elchucko
Message 1 of 4 (6,492 Views)

Windows 7 and "Composite USB Device"

Occasionally when my system wakes up from sleep, this message is displayed:

"Your usb composite device can perform faster if it was plugged into a hi-speed port".

It shows what appears to be all the usb ports in the PC with the available hi-speed ports highlighted. What is a "composite device"? I do have a port expander plugged into one usb port on the PC which in turn has 4 usb device ports being used.

I've never seen this message while using Vista, only since "upgrading" to W7. Now I do supect the PMD (Personal Media Drive) although the "port expander" could be suspect? Once again, what is a "composite device"? Thank you

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 4 (6,479 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and "Composite USB Device"

[ Edited ]

Elchucko, your back!  :smileywink:

A USB composite device is one that has more than one iterface, such as, USB, USB 2.0 and Firewire.  Since, the PMD plugs into a prioprietary bay, I am not certain that this is your problem.  I would disconnect all USB devices from your computer and reboot.  Then, plug one component in at a time and reboot.  When you get the message, you will know which device is causing the error.  This is the simplest way to diagnose the problem.

Message Edited by old_geekster on 11-10-2009 10:18 AM

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 4 (6,467 Views)

In the meantime after my post, I removed the port expander and plugged 2 of the usb devices directly to the PC. The backups, except for  one instance, are working. When Easy Backup initially launches, there is a configuration that must be done once. Now in W7 this process must be done each time the application is launched via  the HP Easy Backup button(switch). I'm pursuing that issue now. Thank you
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 4 of 4 (6,277 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation