Windows 7 deos not recognize a second hard drive (3133 Views)
Honor Student
wdwnm47
Message 1 of 7 (3,133 Views)

Windows 7 deos not recognize a second hard drive

I have a new HP Pavilion HPE h8 1234 pc and I just added a second internal 1TB SATA drive.  The new drive does not show up in my computer or in the computer management/disk management window.  How can I get the system to recognize it?  

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 7 (3,126 Views)

Re: Windows 7 deos not recognize a second hard drive

Hi:

Try this:

Launch the Control Panel:
1 - Select System & Security
2 - Select Administrative Tools
3 - Select Computer Management
4 - Select Disk Management
5 - Select "unlettered" drive (then right mouse on the drive)
6 - Add a drive letter
7 - Volume now appears in windows explorer and you should be able to access the drive.

or: if this is what you're seeing instead...

In step 5, if you do not see any thing saying "unlettered", but see that the second drive had a red "x" on it,  you do the right-mouse click and chose "online". The drive letter should appear, and the volume should now appear in windows explorer, and I should be able to access the drive.

Paul

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 3 of 7 (3,126 Views)

Re: Windows 7 deos not recognize a second hard drive

Please enter the BIOS and verify that the second hard drive shows up in the "Storage / Device Configuration" menu. If the hard drive isn't listed here, Windows will never see it.

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
wdwnm47
Message 4 of 7 (3,117 Views)

Re: Windows 7 does not recognize a second hard drive

Thank you to both of you for the suggestions.  The drive does not show in the disk management screen as either a unlettered drive or red X.  Bios does recognize the drive.  I noticed a couple things that may or may not be of significance. The drive that came with the computer is a SATA 6G and the drive I just added is showing up as a SATA 3G.  I also noticed that under the storage options in the bios storage device menu, the primary drive is set to RAID.  However, in other places it shows "RAID ready".  The drive I added came from another computer I had for about a year before the mother board went bad.       TIA

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 7 (3,094 Views)

You're very welcome.

I was looking around and found this, which I copied and pasted below...

"Click Start, RIGHT-click My Computer in the window, then click on Manage from the menu. In the new Computer Management window expand "Storage" if necessary and click on Disk Management.

Now, examine the TWO right-hand panes. The upper one shows you only the devices Windows already knows how to use.

The lower one, which SCROLLS, also shows you other devices Windows does not yet understand.

Your new disk should be here with no letter name and no info. RIGHT-click on it and, from the menu, choose to Partition the drive. You'll have a choice of how big it should be and most likely want to use all the drive in one volume. (You can use only part of the space.

If you do, when you are finished come back here and find the remainder shown as "Unallocated Space". You can create a second Partition or more in it if you want.) For this first Partition, make it the Primary or Active Partition, and NOT bootable because this drive is for data only - you already have a boot drive. When all the choices are made, go ahead with the Partition operation.

When that is done, come back to this new Partition and RIGHT-click again and choose to Format it. Choose the NTFS File System option. A Quick Format will do the job in 5 to 15 minutes.

A Full Format will do a Quick Format, then go though every sector of the drive and test it, marking off any faulty ones (very rare) so they won't be used. Full Format takes many hours!

When you are done, reboot and your newly prepared hard drive should show up in My Computer as an empty unit ready for use."

Honor Student
wdwnm47
Message 6 of 7 (3,072 Views)

Thanks again Paul.  When I woke this moring I had a box on my desktop asking if I wanted to format drive "L".  I decided to jump over the the disk management window first to see it it was showing up there and it was.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time to mess with it then and when I returned it had disappeared again and I could not get it back.  I have a feeling my drive is bad.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 7 of 7 (3,068 Views)

You're very welcome.

That is a possibility.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation