Question

Top Student
cormchar
Message 1 of 6 (23,327 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 Keyboard Driver

I recently installed Windows 8 and the keyboard works fine on it except the multimedia buttons don't, like the volume up/down, play, stop, etc.  I tried to install the software for it that I used in previous versions of Windows and it didn't work, gave me an error 9998.

The keyboard is a KG-0636

Can someone provide me with the Windows 8 driver for it?

Thanks.

Honor Student
bgumble70
Message 2 of 6 (23,282 Views)

Re: Windows 8 Keyboard Driver

I also recently installed Windows 8 PRO x64, with the same issue as mentionmed by 'cormchar'.

I also tried to install the HP driver software for it that I used previously in Windows 7, with compatibilty issues with the OS.

Also received an error 9998.

Original driver from HP Media Center PC m8020n (Keyboard orginally came from):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-57800-1&cc=ca&dlc=en&lc=en&...

The keyboard is also a KG-0636

Would really like to Use the 'Search' button with Windows 8, also among the other multimedia features .

Is there a generic USB wireless keyboard driver for windows 8 that incorporates the multimedia buttons?

Top Student
cormchar
Message 3 of 6 (23,227 Views)

Here's a solution that I was able to find to make this work for me.

- Go to Administrative Tools->Services

- Locate the Human Interface Device Access service and right-click and set it to Automatic.

- Then download the Original HP Multimedia Keyboard Driver (sp44446.exe) file.

- Extract the .exe file to a folder, don't execute it.

- In the extract file go to the src folder and right-click and run as administrator the install.exe file.

- Wait for the install to finish.

- Then go to the src/src folder and right-click and run as administrator the install.exe file.

- Reboot

This seems to have worked for me.

Honor Student
bgumble70
Message 4 of 6 (23,213 Views)

Awesome thanks

Student
EJToll
Message 5 of 6 (15,275 Views)

I followed your suggestion to manually extract the KB44447 (Pavilion a6700y 64 bit original keyboard driver as updated for Windows 7), and I still received the 9998 error that it's not the software for my system.

Any other suggestions on a keyboard driver for Windows 8?

Thanks

Student
mbotond2001
Message 6 of 6 (5,424 Views)

i need driver

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation