Question

Honor Student
BIGMICK
Message 1 of 4 (1,918 Views)

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse-Security Risk?

Hi, I have a wireless mouse and keyboard and it seems it is broadcasting a wireless internet connection, without any security. So people around our home could be using our internet connection. Is this possible and how do i fix? Thanks
Teacher
GaryJ51
Message 2 of 4 (1,926 Views)

Re: Wireless Keyboard and Mouse-Security Risk?

It is possible, but unlikely that anyone is picking up your wireless mouse/keyboard signal.  Your wireless router, however can be tapped into quite easily if you have not enabled encryption.

Most router administration menus can be accessed either at 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1 through your browser.  The security pages should show you how to enable WEP encryption, turn off SSID broadcast, and even specify MAC address tables for specific permissions if you want to get really tight.

Your router manual (usually available on mfgrs. website) will explain it all.

Honor Student
BIGMICK
Message 3 of 4 (1,905 Views)

Thanks Gary, is there any way I can secure this connection tho, because I pick it up using my Laptop from 30 metres away! And my neighbours probably see it on their wireless radar connections? Otherwise should I go and buy a wired mouse and keyboard? I do not have a wireless modem or router, its ethernet hard wired. So the issue is not there, also I have disabled the Wireless adapter for the desktop but the connection remains with the usb dongle inserted for the mouse and keyboard. 
Teacher
GaryJ51
Message 4 of 4 (1,897 Views)

Is it Bluetooh?

If so, go into network connections.  You should be able to disable it as a connection for internet connection shareing without disabling it for the keyboard and mouse.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation