Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I recently bought a HP Envy 700-209eb and I can't seem to enable the 'wake'-function in the Energy-tab of the wifi-driver (it's greyed-out). I enabled it in the BIOS but it's still greyd-out.

Currently running Win 8.1.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi Fred79,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that you are not able to activate the wi-fi adaptor on your desktop computer, and I would be happy to assist you! To begin, I will need to ask you a few questions:

• What version of Windows do you have installed on your computer?
  • Has your computer completed all of its important Windows Updates?
  • If you open up Device Manager, does your wireless adaptor show up as an active device?
  • What version of BIOS do you have installed?

In the meantime, I recommend updating all of your Network Drivers by following this link on HP ENVY 700-209eb Desktop PC Drivers. This should help ensure the drivers for your wi-fi adaptor are up to date.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting as well as the requested information. I look forward to your reply!

Regards

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thx for the response!

To answer your questions:

• Windows 8.1 installed on computer
  • All Updates are up-to date
  • The wireless adaptor shows active and actually works. I'm typing this post  through WIFI on the computer and regular surfing poses no problem. (Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter)
  • BIOS: KAI v80.20   -   Date 03/25/2014

I just want to be able to wake the computer by wireless LAN (wowlan), I did it by normal LAN, but the 

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter should be able to do that wireless instead of plugged in.

Altough the checkbox in the energy-savings tab of the wifi driver to 'wake the pc' is greyed out for some reason??

Hope someone can shine a light on this!

HP Recommended

Hello again Fred79, 

Thank you for the quick reply!

In order to wake your desktop on the wireless LAN, I recommend following this document on Configure Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN).

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've checked the registry-entry like the link above suggested, it is there and contains the values as mentioned.

Altough, second step in the link 'Select Allow this device to wake up the computer check box' cannot be done because the checkbox is still grey and uncheckable.

I can 't seem  to figure this out. 😞

HP Recommended
Hello ! I have the same problem you have solved? thanks
HP Recommended

None of you seem to have checked...this particular device specifically doesn't support wakeup.  I'm hoping we can get a driver update that does.  It's one of those small print things we miss.  Annoying as hell.

Thenar

HP Recommended

qualcomm Atheros AR938x wake is not supported...go to your device manager and go to the device driver and check.  You have to go through the long list but it's there... Wakup not supported.

HP Recommended

I do not speak English very well ..sorry... I had to put the cable.
I checked and other experts have told me that even if the wake on wireless is not safe and it works intermittently ... I do not know ... Greetings

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.