Question

Student
OkieHP
Message 1 of 8 (5,010 Views)

XW8200 DUAL XEON 3.8GHZ DESKTOP - UPGRADING?

I just won a HP XW8200 DUAL XEON 3.8GHZ DESKTOP on a popular auction site.

It does not come with a hard drive or video card.

Being the upgrade nut I am I want to "soup" it up as much as my current budget will allow.

Will a 1gb NVIDIA card work with this system? PCI or SLI?

Best hard drive? SATA? I want at least a 500gb hard drive.

I also want to replace the cd drive with a DVD/RW drive.

I also plan on putting Windows 7 on the hard drive.

Are there compatible drivers that will work with Windows 7?

Also, I want to download all possible drivers before installing the operating system.

Where can this be done? Or can I order a driver cd or dvd from HP?

Should I install a new power supply before upgrading hardware?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 8 (5,003 Views)

Re: XW8200 DUAL XEON 3.8GHZ DESKTOP - UPGRADING?

Okie, here is a link to the manuals for your computer:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=424560#2

There is allot of information in this page, it may answer your questions.

HP Omen- i7-4710HQ; 8 GB memory; Samsung 128 GB SSD; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M; Win 8.1

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe - i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 8 (4,368 Views)

Hows the xw8200?  I have been upgrading mine for a year and have gotten to know a bit.

Will a 1gb NVIDIA card work with this system? PCI or SLI?

A-pci-express is the only graphics solution for high end but a pci card will work. I had the geforce 8400gs in mine but it was quite slow. The pci-e quatro fx1400 it came with performed better but it still sucks compared to the geforce gtx seriious. The SLI is not compatable I believe it requires dual pci-express x16 slots and is overkill for 99% of users

Best hard drive? SATA? I want at least a 500gb hard drive.

A- Most of these machines come with a two port sata on board wich works great in sata raid or other options but there are currently no drivers available for any x64 platforms or anything later then xp. I installed a lsisas3442e-r controller in my pci-e x4 slott and have 6 sas seagate savvio 36gb drives in a raid 0 and I can transfer at 700mb a second. I am on a budget too wich is why I went with this set up.  The drives used cost about $40.00 or less and you can buy them as you can afford them. Best of all they are siper tiny and you can fit a ton of these in a machine with little modifications or expense. Every time you add a drive to the raid 0 you can expect another 110 mb/s until you try 7 drives wich is slow. The raid disk even write just as fast (700 mb/s) and that blows the doors off any sata ssd I have seen even 4 of them on most controllers.

The down side is even with all these drives you only have about 200 GB and they will only run 700 mbs empty and begin to slow down as they fill up.

I also have 4 seagate 3.5 st*500418s drives. These drives are new 50 dollars each and read even faster then my 15k sas but the writes are way less then half however even with 500GB of storage they still run good.  You can fit 4 of these drives with almost no hassle and you can easily get 500 mb/s.  I would select the option based on what is more important,,, speed and robust or capacity.

I also want to replace the cd drive with a DVD/RW drive.

A- If it doesn't do something you want to do or does what you want it too slow yes :smileytongue:)

I also plan on putting Windows 7 on the hard drive.

A- I run windows 7 ultimate x64 bit no problem. The only thing is the onboard sata wont work. x64 bit systems are the only way to go if speed and souping up is your game like mine.

Are there compatible drivers that will work with Windows 7?

A- All but the sata

Also, I want to download all possible drivers before installing the operating system.

Where can this be done? Or can I order a driver cd or dvd from HP?

A- You can get all the xp drivers but very little much help after that as this has been discontinued for a while.

Should I install a new power supply before upgrading hardware?

A- I run 10 hard drives at a time and never had a power suply issue.

Hope this helped.  Maybe you could return the favor. I am looking for 3.8 cpu's   could you run sandra sis software lite free addition and give me all the info on your cpu      Note- The 3.2 performe better benchmarks then the 3.4 and the 3.6 and the 3.8 is only slightly faster but there are also 2mb cache available wich are all about 20% faster then their 1mb clocks speeds.  You can get pc 5300 but only in 1gb per module and they are much harder to find and costly compared to the 2GB modules you can fill up to get 16GB wich I recomend using a large ram disk such as superspeed ram disk and you can us it just like a normal hard drive and see speeds up to 2000 mb/s as well as using the newer windows versions of readyboost to really snap things up. Internet cache folders also are great.

Student
bottel01
Message 4 of 8 (3,234 Views)

your software from HP  is only $10.00 and thats for all your drivers and windows 7

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 5 of 8 (3,228 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello OkieHP, I have a Dell server that was shipped with Windows XP x86 (32 bit), and Dell advised it was not Windows 7 compatible.

I managed to install Windows 7 x64 on this Dell server by using the Windows XP x64 Sata drivers. Windows 7 accepted them as their own.

Here  is the link for the Windows XP x64 drivers for your system if you want to give these a try.

I had to copy these Windows XP x64 drivers to a floppy disk and chose to Load Drivers at the start of the Windows 7 x64 installation. All the other drivers were loaded from the Windows 7 disk during the installation.

This system shipped with a video card that had only 64 MBs of video memory, so Aero would not work, so I upgraded the video card with an Asus card that had 512 MBs of onboard memory. Aero works like a champ.

The system was originally configured as a Raid1 array, and I changed it to a Raid0 array.

I spent about $250.00 for Windows 7 and the video card and now have a system that would cost about $2,000.00 from Dell.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
dougtracey
Message 6 of 8 (2,487 Views)

I have also just bought a refurbed XW8200 as well, with 2x 3.6 GHz Xeon Noconas! So I thought I would see how far I could push it!

I have installed Windows 7 64bit and added a 6GB/s PCI card as per below:

http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US/products/9109-sata-6gb-s-pci-express-card

It has 2x 6GB/s Sata 3 ports and I have 1x 60GB Corsair Force SSD attached with 1x 2TB Sata 3 Western Digital attached. All running very fast. Windows experience rating for HDDs is 7.4 out of a max 7.9 for drive performance!

Main issue I now have is that Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit does not support multiple CPUs, which can only be resolved by upgrading to Ultimate or Professional! GRR! I hate Microsoft for not having a patch for something like this (unless anyone knows a way round it)!

I have also added a Geforce GT440, 512MB, which is seriously rapid for the power consumption, as the XW8200 will blow memory if you stick anything too big in, such as the Geforce 8800 GTX I stuck in first (which blew itself up and 1x stick of memory)!

I am happily running COD 4 Modern Warfare at 1260x900, which is super smooth. Haven't really pushed it too hard yet until I get my hands on W7 Pro 64 bit and can get the second processor working at the same time!

Hope this helps people!

Student
DonkeyGun
Message 7 of 8 (2,131 Views)

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but i thought I would join in...

I bought an xw8200 refurbed last year off of an auction site.  Since then I have only upgrade the RAM to 4G.

It currently has the 3.2 xeon, but on Thursday 2 matched 3.8s will be arriving in the mail. 

Im wondering if the current heatsink and fan is enough for the 3.8, so then ill only have to buy one more.

Student
Dennymon
Message 8 of 8 (1,304 Views)

That exactly the way my xw8200 was equipped when I purchased it last month. I ordered the 2 3.8"s and 1 heatsink off the "auction site". The heatsink and fan is the same for the 3.2, don't forget the thermal paste and some isopropal alchohol to remove the old paste from the existing heatsink.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation