Question

Teacher
tvccs
Message 1 of 2 (272 Views)

Yet Another Disastrous Call With HP "Support" In India - Windows 8.1 Voids Warranty?!?

I wish I was making this up...the semi-short version

Bought an HP Envy H8-1549 Desktop refurb from MacMall...sealed with HP warranty.

Set it up over the last two days...had issues with USB 3.0 and WLAN...decided to call HP before returning it as I couldn't get another system like it from MacMall.  I'm a tech/consultant and have set up hundreds of systems over the past three decades...every single driver upgrade was done and every subsystem was troubleshot and retested at length.  I'm also a tech writer including hundreds of columns for a NY Times-owned paper.

After waiting 25 minutes on hold, I got "Alicia" in India on the phone.  explained to "Alicia" the issues I was having...Alicia was very concerned I'd installed the Windows 8.1upgrade...(I'd gotten it from the HP site).

"Alicia" informed me that after spending 8-10 minutes speaking with her supervisor, the fact that I'd installed Windows 8.1 meant my warranty had been voided and they could not offer support.

I explained to "Alicia" that the upgrade had been offered by the HP website and she said it didn't matter, and that my issues were caused by the Windows 8.1 update - the same update the HP support site and software installed updated drivers for into my new Envy.

Even after I told "Alicia" the problems with the two issues had existed before the 8.1 update, she said that didn't matter.  She also said that because the USB 3.0 issue related to external hard drives not sold by HP, that I had to call the hard drive company for support.   The Seagate external hard drives (did I mention this system came with a Seagate Barracuda stock from HP?) worked just fine plugged into a laptop for the last year...no problem.  That didn't matter either.

And the fact the Ralink network card supplied with the Envy had throughput that was a fraction of any other computer meant nothing as well...not only because I had installed Windows 8.1, but because I mentioned to "Alicia" that the Ralink's performance had been degraded while there was a Logitech wireless Nano receiver in the system...apparent interference...even though I also told her I'd removed it to only limited improvement.

"Alicia" then yelled at me that she would not put her supervisor on the phone after I asked, and that any problems with the system were related to Windows 8.1 which I had somehow improperly installed, even though I got it via the HP site after HP advertised customers could upgrade.  

And yet, HP and dozens of other companies continue to farm tech support out to India/Bangladesh, etc. companies whose near-complete lack of competence is so beyond the imagination...I don't even begin to have the words to adequately describe it.

Hear this one Meg and Henry?  I'd love to bring my Envy to Palo Alto and sit and have a chat.

Retired
Antonius_L
Message 2 of 2 (240 Views)

Re: Yet Another Disastrous Call With HP "Support" In India - Windows 8.1 Voids Warranty?!

Hello tvccs,

I saw your message and forwarded it to the right parties for their review.

You should be contacted via private message on this forum.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation