Question

Intern
supernukes
Message 1 of 11 (339 Views)
Accepted Solution

Yet another baffling memory problem

I have a P-6 2120 with the AAHD2-HY (Holly2) motherboard. I am having a problem getting it's memory to run in Dual channel mode......I bought a Kingston KTH9600C/4G memory stick hoping it would match the HP655410-150-HYCG... Well would still not run in Dual mode (as per CPU-Z). So I bought another stick of KTH9600C/4g .....but still no dual mode.  and to make matters worse CPU-Z says  one module is kingston and the other is elpida memory with another model number. I researched and Kingston did (does) use elpida chips in their memory. Whats up....I now have 3 4G memory sticks from Kingston and no combination will run in Dual mode. Am I missing  something is it in the  bios or should it just start when they match perfectly. Thanks in advance

Intern
supernukes
Message 2 of 11 (317 Views)

Re: Yet another baffling memory problem

OK I bit the bullet and bought

Kingston Hyper X 8 GB Kit (2x4GB Modules) 1866MHz DDR3 Desktop Memory (KHX1866C9D3K2/8G)  My P-6 2120  motherboard is a AAHD2-HY (Holly2) and is supposed to support

Supports DDR3 DIMMs
  • PC3 10600 (1333 MHz)
  • PC3 12800 (1600 MHz)
  • PC3 14400 (1866 MHz)

the standard memory is running at DDR3 1600MHz and my new hi test memory that is supposed to run at 1866MHz is running at 1333MHz

So I bought brand name hi test and it is running slower that stock...tested on CPU-Z ...System info for windows and the Bios.........Please someone help.......why is it running slower than stock 
HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 3 of 11 (299 Views)

Hi supernukes,

I have spent some time researching the RAM specifications for your HP P-6 2120 with the AAHD2-HY (Holly2) motherboard. Here is what I found. The Kingston RAM you purchased has timing parameters as follows:

• JEDEC: DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9 @1.5V
• XMP Profile #1: DDR3-1866 CL9-11-9-27 @1.65V
• XMP Profile #2: DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-27 @1.65V

From what I can find it doesn't appear that the computer supports XMP and therefore it will default to the JEDEC.

KHX1866C9D3K2/8GX Specifications

Check the specifications above to see more about the the description and features of the KHX1866C9D3K2

Hope this helps, please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Sunshyn2005

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, to say thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Intern
supernukes
Message 4 of 11 (291 Views)

I really appreciate your time and effort.....I understand what you said but how would I know that from the small info HP gives about memory....I even quoted them in my first they do not mention any of what you did. Or more importantly how would I looks for the faster memory...whats specs ??...Thanks in advance

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 5 of 11 (286 Views)

Hi supernukes,

You have certainly done your share of research and did a good job, the Ram you bought meets all of the requirements of the motherboard. I think you could look at modifying the Bios to manually change the settings. I found information on an Intel webpage that says,

"How Intel XMP works

Predefined and tested Intel XMP profiles can be loaded via BIOS or a specific tuning application through a computer’s operating system. Often the easiest way to load Intel XMP profiles is using a tuning utility, which may be available depending on the particular board manufacturer. To learn whether a tuning utility is available on your system, you should contact the board manufacturer."

Intel® Extreme Memory Profile

I also found RAM that offers only the Jedec timing parameters,

• DDR3-1866 CL11-11-11 @1.5V
• DDR3-1600 CL10-10-10 @1.5V
• DDR3-1333 CL8-8-8 @1.5

The Ram details are as follows,

KHX1866C11S3P1K2/8G
8GB (4GB 512M x 64-Bit x 2 pcs.)
DDR3-1866MHz CL11 204-Pin SODIMM Kit
Supports Kingston HyperX Plug and Play (PnP

K i n g s t o n ' s KHX 1 8 6 6C1 1 S 3 P 1 K 2 / 8G i s a k i t o f two 5 1 2M x 6 4 - b i t ( 4GB ...

You asked how you would have know, good question!! The trick is to look at more than just the HP specifications and the motherboard. By looking at the RAM specifications you can learn more about the timing and compatibility! Upgrading Ram isn't always an easy task !

Hope this helps,

Sunshyn2005

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Intern
supernukes
Message 6 of 11 (281 Views)

I marked this as solved and I do appreciate your time that is laptop memory and I am looking for desktop.......pls one more help????...Thanks in advance

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 7 of 11 (276 Views)

Hi supernukes,

You're right, see, not an easy task :smileyhappy:

System Specific Memory for HP/Compaq Pavilion p6-2120

This is directly from the Kingston website. The DDR3-1866 is not available, but the good news is, I found 4GB Module - DDR3 1600MHz Specs: DDR3, 1600MHz, Non-ECC, CL11, 1.5V, Unbuffered, DIMM, 240-pin and it is compatible !

Remember the alternate option is you may be able to use what you have already bought. To do this you would have to “First boot” with default JEDEC setting on a platform that supports DDR3 standard JEDEC specification (your standard DDR3 memory frequencies), ensuring base functionality. Then you can enter BIOS and manually change settings or use the Windows*-based Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility.

If you don't know how to manually change the settings through the Bios maybe look for more information on Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility features

My suggestion would be to get the Ram that is fully compatible, your computer came with 6GB, ultimately you will be running at stock but you would have 2 more GB.

The information I have provided is simply because I want you to be aware that you may have options if you really want to run with the PC3 14400 (1866 MHz).

Good luck with what ever you decide and if you would like further assistance or have any other questions please come back to the HP forums. We're here to help !!!

Sunshyn2005

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Intern
supernukes
Message 8 of 11 (274 Views)

I found this kinjgston KHX1866C11D3P1K2/8G 8GB and it seems to be DDR3 1866 and compatible as it only runs in the JEDEC type...I hope I am right. I sure wish I had heard about the intel extreme software cause I just ordered this memory FOR I SHALL RUN AT 1866 Mhz......why you might ask...because I can (will)...Thanks I will let you know when I ghet there.....Thanks again

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 9 of 11 (262 Views)

Hi supernukes,

I am glad you found the KHX1866C11D3P1K2/4G I checked the specs and it looks like it should work !! Fingers crossed !! :smileyhappy:

In case you don't already have it ....

KHX1866C11D3P1K2/4 Specifications

Sunshyn2005

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Intern
supernukes
Message 10 of 11 (242 Views)

Just for info purposes    How Intel XMP works    ....does not even install on this motherboard........I am sure because it is an AMD A-8 processor it ffails to install saying unsupported platform......BUT I have the right (fingers crossed) memory coming so I will write when its in and running...Thanks again that XMP looks like a nice program but I bet it is Intel proprietary...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation