Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I am looking to buy a Z200 workstation but need to install a Radeon HD 4850 video card into it (it must be this video card).

This video card required a 450w power supply, with a 6 pin plug on it to power the card, which the Z200's do not have.

I have been trying to get an answer from HP as to whether or not I can upgrade the power supply on my own to a 450w but have not been able to get a straight answer.

Does anyone know if the Z200's have a standard ATX power supply, or are they proprietary like I found with the 8000 Elites.

I have been trying to find a business class PC that will run this video card for some time and have been coming up empty.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The official response from HP was no other power supply on the market will fit and even if one was found it would void warranty.  After a lot of research and testing we ended up having to downgrad the video card.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Why a Radeon HD 4850?

Open up the PC and read the label on the PSU.  What is the HP part number?  What is the total wattage and the amperage on the 12+ volt bus?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

This workstation will be used for a project and the HD4850 is the only vendor certified video card (sounds a little crazy, but there isn't much of an alternative unfortunately).

I haven't actually purchased one of the workstations yet so I cant get a first hand look at the power supply.  I do have access to a Z400, maybe there is a chance that the 2 have the same power supply in them?

Is there something specific that I should be looking for with regards to the amps on the 12+v bus?

Thanks

HP Recommended

HP Partsurfer show a 240 and 320 watt psu for the Z200 which is not big enough for the 4850.

The Z400 shows a 475 watt PSU at HP Partsurfer.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

FYI - The Z400 is a 475w and the Z200 is a 320w.  

HP Recommended

Thanks for looking that up for me. 

Do you have any way to tell if it will take a standard ATX powersupply as a replacement? 

HP Recommended

HP business class PCs are "no man's land" PCs.  I can't even tell if the 475 watt PSU would even work in the Z200. :Crying:

Why the HP Zxx PC?

I worked with vendors years back that would only certify software with specific hardware.  They are just too lazy to look at and support other options.  And now they are out of business.

HP Recommended

I have the same problems with HD 5870 and z200 too, did anyone can help suggesting which power supply supported for this machine?

HP Recommended

The official response from HP was no other power supply on the market will fit and even if one was found it would void warranty.  After a lot of research and testing we ended up having to downgrad the video card.

HP Recommended

Sorry didin't see this post sooner, but I think you might have been able to keep the card by using a Molex to 6 pin power adapter. It is usually included with the video card. Looks like this:

http://images.ceneje.si/products/thumbnails/ImageHomePageZoomed/adapter-adapter-2x-molex-6pin-713568...

Though because of the 320W power supply in the HP Z200 CMT, it is probably better that you did not use the ATI 4850 after all. I just did a quick search and looks like it needs a 450W PSU.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.