Question

Tutor
Peva
Message 1 of 13 (1,181 Views)

a610n doesn't see WD 1.5TB SATA hard drive

XP SP3, all MS updates.  Upgraded BIOS to latest (3.15).

MoBo (A7V8X-LA - Kelut) has 2 SATA ports (MoBo spec. sheet: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00069442&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=443734&lang...

Neither the BIOS nor the disk manager see the drive.

I have had a SATA DVD burner running off of one of the SATA ports in this computer without problem - unplugged the burner and plugged the same power connector and SATA cable (still plugged into the same SATA port) into this HD, and still no joy.

The drive is good - I have installed it into an external case plugged into USB of this same computer, and it works.  Tried moving the drive back to the SATA, and computer still does not see it.

I have the jumper on the drive in the position Western Digital install docs. say is for optimum XP operation.

Next steps - or known reasons it just won't work with this MoBo?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 13 (1,161 Views)

Re: a610n doesn't see WD 1.5TB SATA hard drive

Hi,

Try the tool at this site and see if the bios in your PC can support your new hard drive.

Be sure that the sata controller is enabled in the bios.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
Peva
Message 3 of 13 (1,153 Views)

[quote]Try the tool at this site and see if the bios in your PC can support your new hard drive.[/quote]

Ooh - that looks promising.  I will research that site more tomorrow.

I will try that HDINFO tool.  It talks about making a bootable floppy from it to run the test.  I don't have a floppy drive.  I assume I should be able to make a CD or DVD and boot from that?

I guess the fact that I can run the same drive (1.5TB) as external thru the USB doesn't mean anything since the 24 vs. 48LBA issue only applies to the IDE controller itself, which the USB does not go thru?

[quote]Be sure that the sata controller is enabled in the bios.[/quote]

I've been all thru the BIOS, and I don't see anything that looks like it addresses that.  Maybe I'm just not recognizing the terminology used.  Any particular keywords, other than the obvious, like SATA, that I should look for?

Tutor
Peva
Message 4 of 13 (1,148 Views)

Thanks for the link, BTW.

OK - I just downoaded their "evaluation" version.  It apparently does not include the boot disk part, as the "Make IDEInfo Boot Diskette" doesn't show up in Start -> Programs -> HDInfo.  :smileysad:

Also - doesn't the fact that my primary drive (IDE) is 160GB (bigger than the 137GB limit they say applies to 24-bit LDA) mean that mine must be 48-bit?  (if so, then I don't need to run their program.

Also - I just read thru the MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q303013 that they linked from http://www.48bitlba.com/reference.htm

From that KB article, I checked the Atapi.sys file in ...\system32\Drivers is later than  5.1.2600.1135.  Mine is 5.1.2600.5512.  Plus I have SP3, which according to the article should be good for 48-bit LDA, because the solution is supposed to be already installed with XP SP 1, and I would assume later SP's would not undo that.

Any other ideas?  Am I pushing a rope trying to do this?

Tutor
Peva
Message 5 of 13 (1,135 Views)

Here's what I have discovered:

1. Found this article: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02961221&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=e...

The article supposedly applies to this computer (a610n), yet if you scroll down to "Setting the controller mode in the BIOS", then "Bios version 6 or less", it shows a BIOS Advanced tab screen shot, and shows "SATA Controller" modes selection, and gives instructions on makign the proper settings.  The BIOS for this computer has only IDE options shown - the word SATA doesn't exist in the BIOS (original or latest).

2. This computer was sold with SATA ports, implying SATA functionality, yet will not work directly with SATA drives.

3. This computer was sold with lifetime support, yet when I tried to initiate a chat thru the included local "Help and Support Center", I got a message saying that that server was temporarily unavailable - to try again later (see next item).

4. Upon calling tech support last night, I was told that this computer is no longer supported, and that that was the reason that chat was no longer available for it (in other words, I would be wasting my time trying to connect with chat later, or ever), and that they couldn't offer any phone support with the problem either.

5. I notice that they are still selling computers with claimed "lifetime support".  I suspect that that isn't any more true now than it was with mine.

6. Apparently I am indeed attempting to push a rope in getting an internal SATA drive installed in this computer.  It should be easier to determine things like that than to have to waste many hours of research.  Tech support should at least be able to tell the customer that even if the promised lifetime support was an empty promise.

6. Up until now, I was very happy with my HP computer.  I will take all of the above things into serious consideration the next time I purchase a computer.

I do appreciate your trying to help, Big_Dave.

If someone knows of a magic bullet for this problem, please post it.  Otherwise, nobody should waste their time trying to solve it.  It appears that this computer was not made with the capability to support SATA even though it was sold as having that.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 13 (1,130 Views)

Hi,

The last time I looked at the specifications for your PC the hard drive size did not show 160GB but something less than 100 GB.  And now low and behold it indicates160 GB.  I find that amazing.

So if you say that you have a 160 GB drive working then that is good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Tutor
Peva
Message 7 of 13 (1,122 Views)

"The last time I looked at the specifications for your PC the hard drive size did not show 160GB but something less than 100 GB.  And now low and behold it indicates160 GB.  I find that amazing."

It's what is on the spec. sheet and what came in the computer when purchased: D:\My Docs\Downloads\HP computer manuals & info\HP Pavilion a610n Desktop PC - Product Specifications .mht

I did some Googling on this exact MoBo and problems installing SATA drives.  That turned up *several* discussions on various forums, and I'm pretty sure I found the explanation, as the same one was consistenly given on pretty much all of them (often after a lot of fruitless disussion). 

Apparently this MoBo *will* recognize and work with the 1.5Gb/s SATA drives as delivered even though there are no SATA options shown in the BIOS.  It will *not* see SATA drives running at 3 or 6 Gb/s.  The HD I just bought is 6Gb/s, and can be jumpered to run at 3Gb/s.  I could have purchased the 3Gb/s version of the drive that can be jumpered to run at 1.5Gb/s, but I did not know about this MoBo's limitation when I purchased the HD.

I just emailed a question to WD tech support and also posted to WD's user forum to see if there is some undocumented/unpublished jumpering that could be done to knock this drive down to 1.5Gb/s.  I would be surprised if the answer is 'yes', but it is worth asking on the chance that it can be.

Strange that HP/Compaq made oodles and oodles of computers with this exact MoBo and didn't see fit to put anything in or update any FAQ's or other notes specific to the computer models with it when this issue became known.    They really need to stop saying that thir computers come with lifetime support since that's not what they're giving.

Will post back when I get answers from WD.

Tutor
Peva
Message 8 of 13 (1,116 Views)

Hah!  I posted the link to the a610n spec. sheet I had saved to my hard drive. :manembarrassed:

Here's the spec. sheet link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00193144&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=425...

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 9 of 13 (1,110 Views)

Hi,

Hmmm.  One time it's there another time another time it's not there.

Did you enable the sata controller (both ports) in the BIOS?

Tutor
Peva
Message 10 of 13 (1,107 Views)

That's the funny thing about this MoBo - the BIOS only mentions IDE - the word SATA does not appear in the BIOS *anywhere*.  Not only did I observe that, but it was mentioned in most of the discissions that I was talking about.

If you look back a few posts, you will see where I wrote :

1. Found this article: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docnam​e=c02961221&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=...

The article supposedly applies to this computer (a610n), yet if you scroll down to "Setting the controller mode in the BIOS", then "Bios version 6 or less", it shows a BIOS Advanced tab screen shot, and shows "SATA Controller" modes selection, and gives instructions on makign the proper settings.  The BIOS for this computer has only IDE options shown - the word SATA doesn't exist in the BIOS (original or latest).

Apparently, this MoBo came out in the early days of SATA.  The explanation I've seen is that there's not even a SATA contoller in the MoBo - even SATA goes thru IDE on this board (I guess it has to be converted or adpapted somewhere before it goes to IDE - I'm not a computer guy, so I'm not sure what all that means).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation