Question

Honor Student
Terick72
Message 1 of 9 (4,452 Views)

an operating system wasn't found

Ok i was doing a system restore on my compaq laptop & it was taking way too long cause i was trying to get rid of windows 8. So i cut the laptop off and started it back up and it said "an operating system wasn't found" even when i tried to do a system recovery.. Can someone help me
Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 2 of 9 (4,441 Views)

Re: an operating system wasn't found

Hi there Terick72: 1st of all when your laptop was new did you make master recovery media?

I own a Pavilion Elite 410y I brought it on December 18th 2010

6 days later on Christmas Eve because it was bugging me via prompts, I did indeed made some for my machine.

before the application went corrupt.

just look for it as part of the recovery icon on the control panel then follow whatever you see on your monitor

then insert it in the optical drive detach every thing connected to your USB ports then press the button pertaining to recovery & c.1.5hrs you should have your PC back to normal.

what happened is that Windows 8 sets up the computer radically different than Win 7 including reformatting the HD

so it's critically vital to have your masters ready.

if not then you'll have to come here to HP to order recovery discs according to your model.

I tried the 1st version of Win 8 back on New Years 2012 for a week after downloading it from Microsoft

I thought it was too radical a departure from 7. especially since I don't own & don't intend to get a cell phone

so I took out my masters via the Recovery Manager & reverted back to 7th Heaven! & unless one can go retro I have no intention of pledging alligiance to el numero ocho(8!)

good luck

hope this enlightens & helps you

spacechild

Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 3 of 9 (4,438 Views)

PS. That is everything except your mouse & keyboard

spacechild

Honor Student
Terick72
Message 4 of 9 (4,438 Views)

I cant even get to the desktop. I can only goto the start up menu
Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 5 of 9 (4,433 Views)

OK Terick,  then espcially if you have either master recovery CD\DVD's made from your laptop or acquired from HP

restart the computer then quickly before the startup panel shows up hit the F8 Key which starts up Safe Mode

then put in the media then detach everything except the mouse then follow what you see on the recovery screens

& you should be normal

spacechild

Honor Student
Terick72
Message 6 of 9 (4,420 Views)

When i first got my laptop it never came with any CD or anything like that -.-
Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 7 of 9 (4,400 Views)

Terick72: then your only hope is to come back here to www.hp.com to the web page pertaining to your Compaq

& order a new set of master media! make sure that you mention the model of Compaq laptop that you own

because the media has to match the model of PC otherwise you'll be wasting your money because it won't work

once you acquire them then stick them in your optical drive following what you see on your monitor

it should take no longer than 1.5-2hrs. to be back in the saddle again.

good luck

spacechild

Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 8 of 9 (4,397 Views)

Terick72: In case you couldn't do this on your own

1.  Go to www.hp.com then look for "Support & Drivers Link located on the left side of monitor

3. Enter model of your Compaq laptop 4 Click on Operating system of Windows

5. on right side of web page pick "Ordering Recovery Discs from HP in US and Canada"

6. Put in serial # of your laptop 7. then the model of your laptop 8. Locate & select "order Recovery Media"

i9. If available read whatever you see then click submit 10 if you see a notation saying to see all content then hit that button as well 11. you now see a screen telliing you that it'll take 5-7 business days to ship via Fed Ex

12. also put in serial # of laptop & your zipcode then pick the next button

because I didn't know my particular serial number this was as far as I could go however if you did put it in you would be able to find out how much it'll cost for the media & whatever shipping fees you might need

also if the computer is less than a year old if you tell them you're missing the media they'll ship them out for free

again good luck & hope this helps you revive your PC Ala Lazarus

spacechild

Student
rogue350
Message 9 of 9 (3,293 Views)

I had the same issue while trying to reset my computer to its factory software and I am calling HP back because I've only had the computer for 3 weeks and I shouldn't have to pay anymore to get it fixed. They need to send me a free one. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation