can I add USB 3 to my HP P6228b Desktop? (1733 Views)
Intern
cwr64
Message 1 of 6 (1,733 Views)

can I add USB 3 to my HP P6228b Desktop?

I have an HP P6228b desktop PC that came with Win7 Home Premium 64bit and a number of USB 2 ports.  Up till now I have never opened the case on the tower.  I have added a USB2 hub, and I'm running an external HD, an HP USB2 printer, a card reader, a UPS, the keyboard, and the occasional thumb drive off USB2.

I see that USB 3.0 is becoming more prevalent, so I'm wondering if I can simply add a USB 3.0 card to my PC.  Anyone out there done that?  Do I need to replace a USB 2 card with the USB 3 card, or can I add the USB 3 card as an additional card?  Do I need to install any software for USB 3?  Etc? 

Thanks in advance,  Charlie    

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 6 (1,722 Views)

Re: can I add USB 3 to my HP P6228b Desktop?

The model number in the post is not compatible with this page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?cc=us&lc=en

So it is not possible to check for sure.  If you have an open PCIe slot, then it would seem possible to add a USB 3.0 adapter card.  Since this is relatively new, expect that some motherboards will not be totally compatible with the particular adapter that you choose.  Look around for any complaints on the internet before buying.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Intern
cwr64
Message 3 of 6 (1,719 Views)

Thanks OldMan.

I did run the HP "detector" and it confirmed that my PC model number is p6228p.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4084598&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

HP Pavilion p6228p Desktop PC

So I don't exactly understand your reply.  Do you mean that my PC is out of warrantee and therefore the HP web sites don't display info that tells you whether it was manufactured with empty slots that might accomodate an additional USB card?

Or do you mean that I should have posted my question in another section of the HP forums?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 6 (1,694 Views)

I see the problem.  In the first post it was described as "P6228b" but now I see, in you last post,  it is "p6228p".  After looking at the motherboard layout, there are three PCIe slots that can support the USB card.  If one of those is still open, then it would be possible to install the adapter card.  Bear in mind the fact that "Since this is relatively new hardware, expect that some motherboards will not be totally compatible with the particular adapter that you choose.  Look around for any complaints on the internet before buying."

Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

Intern
cwr64
Message 5 of 6 (1,686 Views)

Do you know whether any software has to be installed or if the bios settings have to be changed?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 6 of 6 (1,660 Views)

I would expect some driver needs to be installed, since the hardware is new.  However, Windows 7 may support this already.  Since it uses the PCIe slot, I would not expect a BIOS setting, unless they can be disabled in the BIOS for your motherboard.  However, I do not know for sure as I have not any experience with this new hardware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation