Question

Honor Student
nascardogg
Message 1 of 5 (1,633 Views)

compaq presario wont connect to internet

I got home an my pc was off line and i have a broadband connection an I'm always on line. I have tried everything with the ethernet adaptor and settings and I cannot get it to connect to internet. I have 2 different internet connections in house both are broadband an i cannot get on line with either one. i had time warner out to check line an it is all good to pc, they even tried all they know to help an my pc just will not connect. i get messages that cant verify the ip or cant renew ip. I have did it manually with commands an i have tried every possible network or setting i could an it wont connect. It says the ethernet adaptor is working fine no issues an no conflicts but i think it is bad i swaw somewhere that many people with a compaq presario sr1330nx have replaced their fast ethernet adaptors but not that i need the site i saw this on to see why they all replced theirs i cant find it. I am single with 3 kids an low income last thing i need b4 christmas is my pc in the shop, anyone got a suggestion id appriciate any help thanks.

I also did restore an now its  completely reinstalled windows xp an everything to factory with my disks an still nothing it will not verify or renew the ip so i can get on line.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 5 (1,630 Views)

Re: compaq presario wont connect to internet

Assuming this is a desktop PC, look at the case next to where the network cable is plugged in.  It should have a green light, flickering if data is being exchanged.  If the light is out or Amber, then there is a network problem.  It could be the ethernet adapter has failed.  Look in Device Manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks.  Let me know what you find on any of these items.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
nascardogg
Message 3 of 5 (1,572 Views)

yes green lit up and is flickering, there is no device errors at all and the ethernet shows it is working properly an no conflicts. Come to think of it when I first got this pc it would not connect with ethernet brand new outa the box an we used cable an  with a usb line to pc also from the modem cause the ethernet would not work then.. After a year of this connection i got a hi speed router in house for my kids schooling an i tapped into it with ethernet an that worked fine. I could not legally stay on that line so i got back on a modem and it worked for 3 years with the ethernet line then one day bam it lost its connection. I know my xp book says in the local area connections properties tab i should see the ethernet adaptors name an i do, but the book also says that below it where it says this connection uses the following: the book says my ethernet adaptor name should be in this list also and it is not.  All that is there is 1client for microsoft networks,2 file an print sharing microsoft networks, 3qos packet scheduler and 4 is internet protocol (tcp/ip) these 4 items is in the list nothing else about my via rhine fast ethernet adaptor is in that list an my books says this is my problem but i dunno how to get it in that list lol. Looks like I may have to pay my good ole reliable superior computer repairman on this one. If ya all have any more suggestions please holla any help is appriciated I hate to pay for help right before christmas my kids arent getting much as it is with me being off work disabled. thanks for all suggestions i do appriciate them all thanks I will gladly try anything beofre I give up and pay.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 5 (1,566 Views)

Depending on your locale, there is a USB adapter fairly inexpensive, like here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=usb+eth...

If you buy from a local store, they may even let you return if it does not help.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
nascardogg
Message 5 of 5 (1,525 Views)

Thanks for the idea on the ethernet adaptor, I did decide to throw it in shop and on way there decided last minute to hook it up at my friends house on his time warner internet same as i got and within 15seconds bam i was on line with no problems. This was awsome but man im pissed at time warner telling me it was my pc all along an now i lost all my music resetting my pc to a clean wipe. They are to be here tomorrow to get it fixed but I dont have much faith in them dude was here yesterday to install a phone line an he spent 40 minutes on the computer an he had no luck either. He did tell me the ip that was showing up wasnt even one of theres an he did manage to get it to load one but still no default gateway or the item thats below that i cant think of its name right at moment.. I made them credit me but Im still pissed i may call back an demand a better deal then that i been a month now with no internet and lost my music an im sure i lost a few pictures, i saved most to cd but i did not have room to save them all. They owe me more then credit for this one!!!  I will post soon how it goes tomorrow if they dont get it on im dropping their asses from some services But as for internet they got the only cable one around here so i may be stuck w them on that one. I thank ya for the time ya spent to read my post an throw me the help that was so kuel of ya ty :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation