Question

Honor Student
skyereed
Message 1 of 8 (2,092 Views)

cooling fan, 2 pin connector, where's it plug in?

I have a Compaq Presario CQ5320F. I want to install another small cooling fan that has a 2 pin connector. I see where the stock cpu fan with the 3 pin connector is plugged in, but where do I plug in this 2 pin plug? Or even another 3 pin fan? Thanks

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 8 (2,062 Views)

Re: cooling fan, 2 pin connector, where's it plug in?

[ Edited ]

skyereed wrote: I have a Compaq Presario CQ5320F. I want to install another small cooling fan that has a 2 pin connector. I see where the stock cpu fan with the 3 pin connector is plugged in, but where do I plug in this 2 pin plug? Or even another 3 pin fan? Thanks

Hello skyereed, I checked the motherboard specifications for your system, that can be found  Here .

It shows there are only two fan headers on the motherboard, one for the processor and one for the chassis fan.

If you want to or feel you need an additional fan, you could acquire an adapter that would connect to an existing power supply 12 volt lead (wire), and the other end connect to the 12 volt fan lead.

Your system appears to have Sata power connectors only, so you may have to try and locate a Sata to molex adapter and a molex to 3 or 4 pin fan connector. I could not locate a Sata power adapter to a 3 or 4 pin fan connector.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 8 (2,046 Views)

Hi,

This adapter might do the job if you have a spare molex power connector. 

BTW, connecting two fans to the same motherboard header might lead to a problem depending on the power draw from the two fans.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
skyereed
Message 4 of 8 (2,042 Views)

thanks, I found the specs ok, but I still dont know the physical location - no labels I could find - of the chassis fan plug in. I currently have only a cpu fan mounted on the processor, so the chassis fan plug should be available if I can locate it! Thanks

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 5 of 8 (2,038 Views)

[ Edited ]

skyereed wrote: thanks, I found the specs ok, but I still dont know the physical location - no labels I could find - of the chassis fan plug in. I currently have only a cpu fan mounted on the processor, so the chassis fan plug should be available if I can locate it! Thanks

Hello skyereed, if you look at my post immediately before Big_Dave's post, you should see a link to the motherboard specifications for your system.

Look in the section Motherboard Layout and you should see a diagram of the motherboard where the chassis fan header is located just above the PCIe x16 slot, near the middle of the motherboard.

Honor Student
skyereed
Message 6 of 8 (2,026 Views)

THANKS!!!... I did  see a labeled photo somewhere months ago, but can't seem to locate it now....BUT, problem solved!!!!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 7 of 8 (2,023 Views)

I don't recommend that you "splice" into the motherboard chasis fan header  to power aan additional 2 pin fan unless you know for certain that the current draw when combined with the other fan is below that rated for the motherboard. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 8 of 8 (2,015 Views)

[ Edited ]

Big_Dave wrote: I don't recommend that you "splice" into the motherboard chasis fan header  to power an additional 2 pin fan unless you know for certain that the current draw when combined with the other fan is below that rated for the motherboard. 

I totally agree with Big_Dave about the two fans on the same motherboard header. If the current draw is over the rated current for this fan header, the motherboard will fail at some point, and usually fairly soon.

I was under the impression that the chassis fan header did not have any connection to it.

Your best and safest option would be to acquire a proper adapter to connect the added fan.

Just some thoughts and Thanks to Big_Dave for bringing this up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation