Question

Top Student
cbell1959
Message 1 of 4 (337 Views)

does motherboard support SATA

I have a presario sr1230nx with a Asus A7V8X-LA ( Kelut ) motherboard. It has two sockets vacant labeled "Sata 1 " and "Sata 2 " . I have tried plugging in a sata hard drive to both ports and the BIOS does not recognize anything. In the "advanced" tab there is no entry for SATA. Does this mean that even though there are sata ports the motherboard does not support them ? I am running windows XP SP3  the BIOS is 3.10 7/26/04 ( original driver ). I downloaded the most current driver from HP but am hesitant to install it for fear of making the system unusable. Any help would be appreciated.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 4 (330 Views)

Re: does motherboard support SATA

Hello cbell1959,

Thank you for posting on the forums.  The motherboard does support SATA according to the motherboard specifications.

I would ensure the HDD has proper jumper settings (most sata drives require no jumper to be set).  I would also ensure BIOS are up-to-date.

I hope this helps!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
cbell1959
Message 3 of 4 (327 Views)

Thanks cloud strider;

If I use the update download for BIOS from HP will this cause a crash or is it safe ( as far as you know )  Is there any way to revert back to the original BIOS driver if the new one does not work ?  This is my wifes computer with massive pix on HDD and she would kill me if I messed it up!!

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 4 (325 Views)

Hello cebell1959,

I understand, pictures are irreplaceable. 

A BIOS update should not cause any issues so long as it is for your specific product.  This can be accomplished by visiting hp.com and clicking on support and drivers.  Enter your product number (typically a number that start with 2 letters, switches to numbers, then back to letters with a special character close to the end    example: ny646aa#aba).

It is always a good idea to backup important files before attempting a BIOS update just to be safe.  If the BIOS update is interrputed (short power failure for example) can cause the system to cease functioning without an easy fix.

If the BIOS update fails, then the system most likely will not allow a rollback of the BIOS.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation