Question

Tutor
astrotrains
Message 1 of 11 (21,718 Views)

dv9700 Bios help. "No advanced" settings when needed?

Hello. I need to access advanced settings of my BIOS on my Pavillion dv9700 notebook. After several attempts to locate any advanced menu from the Phoenix BIOS utility...I gave up and contacted tech support. Their answer was to first try resetting the settings in the BIOS (F9+ENTR) and that did nothing. Then they suggested updating the BIOS. Putting aside the fact that they gave me a link to the wrong BIOS the first time (a link for a BIOS upgrade...for Intel processors when I have an AMD 64 Turion x2) which failed to work with the error "This BIOS is not for your notebook-pc," they gave me a link to a bios that was a higher version than my current F.30...for AMD processors. Guess what...it failed too...giving me the same answer about not being for my computer.         WHAT DO I DO?  I need to access those settings and they suggest upgrading the BIOS...it try and it fails like a lead balloon.              In particular...I need to change settings with the ACPI 2.0, XD (technical execution disabled setting), etc...and these settings are no where to be found yet I can find them on computers from other brands and computers that are of somewhat lesser quality.       Someone please give me some advice. I've exchanged numerous emails with HP tech support and gotten basically nowhere.
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 2 of 11 (21,644 Views)

Re: dv9700 Bios help. "No advanced" settings when needed?

Whatever settings your motherboard BIOS shows that's what it gives you control over. All other functions are locked and a BIOS update won't enable or allow you to change those extra things.

In other brand name computer you may be able to but in HP it's a different story.

You also can't overclock the cpu, fab, ram and change timings and voltages like I would like to so I went out and bought my own case (better case) and motherboard (much better motherboard) and put it together myself.

Tutor
astrotrains
Message 3 of 11 (21,572 Views)

I don't need to overclock it though. I have no interest in that. I need to change some settings to get a USB device to work correctly. Are you certain there is no way to access advanced settings? I mean...that's just plain stupid for HP to sell laptops without proper setting control. It makes me wonder why I bought from them in the first place.

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 4 of 11 (21,515 Views)

Hi astrotrains,

What is the USB issue you are having? Maybe you don't need to go into the BIOS to fix it?

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Tutor
astrotrains
Message 5 of 11 (21,557 Views)

Well...I really can't say more, for fear of voiding tech support rights, but that I am in need of bootings something off of my portable hard drive. When I try to boot from it properly, it blinks the _ for a moment or two and then goes into a normal windows boot even though I did everything right during prior actions to get portable hard drive to fuction as needed.

I fear that I have made a mistake getting an HP...and such an expensive one too at the time because I expected to be able to do whatever I need/wanted to do with it within practical reason. I have booted off of portable USB sticks before as have I off of disks, but it won't recognize the bootable material I have on my portable hard drive. It does recognize that I have it attached but...like I said, it just goes to the _ thing and then starts normally.

-Astrotrain015

Student
JorgeNH
Message 6 of 11 (21,325 Views)

Astrotrain015, I have an HP DV9830US notebook running Phoenix BIOS version F.59. I need enable hardware virtualization to run Sun xVM VirtualBox for a 64bit host but like in your case I also cannot access, review or modify BIOS advance settings where the hardware virtualization switch is supposed to reside. Considering some other problems I've had so far with my less than a year old HP notebook (e. g. keyboard wiggly keys falling off or getting stuck) I also fear I made a mistake buying an HP product but I swear it won't happen again... :-)
Tutor
DDoS-ftw
Message 7 of 11 (6,073 Views)

Hello! My name is Ziad Naser Eddin.. I have purchased an Envy laptop HP of intel core i5 3317U cpu 1.7 GHz 16GB RAM and an intel hd 4000 graphics hd with amd graphics... yet i need to go on advanced settings to increase my dedicated graphics memory for better perphormance... but I cannot seem to find it, nor access it, some people say I am missing the UEFI... but I cannot seem to find it

Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you
Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 8 of 11 (6,066 Views)

Hello DDoS-ftw,

I understand you are trying to locate the advanced settings option in the bios menu, is that correct? I will try and provide you the best information.

Most of the newer HP laptops do not have the advanced settings option available in the bios, but if you can provide the full make and model of the Envy you have I can double check for you. If you are unsure how to locate that information have a look at this link.

Please respond at your earliest convenience.
Thanks
Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Tutor
DDoS-ftw
Message 9 of 11 (5,459 Views)

Sorry I'm late

B6X76EA#ABV

I have an HP Envy 5 notebook PC

YEs, I would like to enter the Advanced system settings on BIOS in order to increase my graphics card memory

Tutor
DDoS-ftw
Message 10 of 11 (5,436 Views)

p Envy 6 Notebook PC

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation