Question

Top Student
Larry1de
Message 1 of 13 (246 Views)

dvd/cd drive does not have a drive letter

The drive had not been recognized so I ran the MS Fix program.  Drive will now work (at least it recognizes music cd's and plays them).  However, when no disk is in the drive, I see not drive letter; when a disk is in the drive I see BD-Drive (L:smileyhappy: Audio CD.  Also the program Easy Cd/DVD creator will not run since it does not find a drive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Tutor
Mauserkm
Message 2 of 13 (219 Views)

Re: dvd/cd drive does not have a drive letter

Drive Letter conflict? 

I do not know what OS you are using, but if it is Windoz XP, Vista or 7, try opening Computer Management | Disk Management and see if you have a drive letter conflict.

Honor Student
jtset865
Message 3 of 13 (213 Views)

Trouble shooting system says the dvd/cd drive does not exist.

Honor Student
jtset865
Message 4 of 13 (210 Views)

I'm using windows XP ,but it says the drive does not exist

Top Student
Larry1de
Message 5 of 13 (207 Views)

I'm using Windows 7.  Not sure where I would look to see if there is a drive letter conflict; can you give me some guidance?

Thanks.

Tutor
Mauserkm
Message 6 of 13 (203 Views)

[ Edited ]

(removed - duplicate - cannot see how to delete post)

Tutor
Mauserkm
Message 7 of 13 (201 Views)

Look under Computer Management as I described.

In addition, I know that Zone Alarm in XP was causing strange problems similar to this several years ago - cannot remember the details because I just quite using ZA totally when they didn't fix it quickly.
Tutor
Mauserkm
Message 8 of 13 (200 Views)

[ Edited ]

Larry1de wrote:

I'm using Windows 7.  Not sure where I would look to see if there is a drive letter conflict; can you give me some guidance?

Thanks.

Open Administrative Tools, Computer Management, then on the left side under Storage, select Disk Management. Now scroll down through all the storage devices to see if the one you are looking for is there.

If two storage devices have the same drive letter assigned, only the first one will show up in Windows, but you can see them all under Computer Management. The solution, if that is the problem, is to change the assigned drive letter to one of the devices.

Top Student
Larry1de
Message 9 of 13 (187 Views)

Thanks, Mauserkm.

I checked that and there was no conflict.  I did change the assigned drive letter from 'L' to 'E' which is the letter that had been assigned originally.

I still do not see the drive in explorer unless a cd/dvd has been put in.  Any idea why that is?

Intern
kupaku48
Message 10 of 13 (183 Views)

<Q>   I still do not see the drive in explorer unless a cd/dvd has been put in.  Any idea why that is?   <Q>

I guess that's normal, no drive to the left until you load a CD/DVD.

A screenshot from my PC:

DVD.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation