Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I would like to increase the dedicated video card memory on my HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF using the video card Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000.  It currently has 64MB, and i would like to go to at least 128MB.

Is this possible, and how can i achieve this?

thanks,

GiovanniHp

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

If there is no BIOS setting to do that (I don't believe there is), then it can't be done.

HP Recommended

The issue is that i do not have this machine in front of me, it is at a customers location, so it is not so easy to verify.

There is a field guy that i can ask, just wanted to make his life easier with some concrete steps.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I was incorrect.

Please look at the service manual link below, chapter 3 for the setup menu options.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03612798/c03612798.pdf

Advanced configuration, device options, page 29.

Integrated Graphics (Auto/Disable/Force) Use this option to manage integrated (UMA)

graphics memory allocation. The value you choose is allocated permanently to graphics and

is unavailable to the operating system. For example, if you set this value to 512M on a

system with 2 GB of RAM, the system always allocates 512 MB for graphics and the other

1.5 GB for use by the BIOS and operating system. Default is Auto which sets memory

allocation to 512 MB.

If you select Force, the UMA Frame Buffer Size option displays, which lets you set the UMA

memory size allocation between 32 MB and 1 GB.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the input.  The Integrated Video option is greyed out.  does this mean it has been locked by the manufacturer?

Also, there is a VGA configuration option that is greyed out.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't know why those would be grayed out unless there is a dedicated video card installed, and if that was the case, you wouldn't be concerned with changing the onboard graphics memory allocation.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I also have several 8300 SFF systems. 

And I also want to expend my video (graphics) memory but this option is greyed out in the bios.

(GiovanniHp, the VGA configuration should be greyed out - it should be active only if you have a discrite graphics card conected).

Anyone know why this option (Integrated Video) is greyed out?

HP Recommended

Ooh, now I see.

the "Integrated Graphics" should be greyed out:

"Integrated Video (enable/disable). Use this option to disable the integrated video controller

when another video controller is present in the system. Default is enabled."

The right option i'm looking for is "Integrated Graphics":

"Integrated Graphics (Auto/Disable/Force) Use this option to manage integrated (UMA)
graphics memory allocation. The value you choose is allocated permanently to graphics and
is unavailable to the operating system. For example, if you set this value to 512M on a
system with 2 GB of RAM, the system always allocates 512 MB for graphics and the other
1.5 GB for use by the BIOS and operating system. Default is Auto which sets memory
allocation to 512 MB.
If you select Force, the UMA Frame Buffer Size option displays, which lets you set the UMA
memory size allocation between 32 MB and 1 GB."

But I don't have tihs option in the BIOS....! 

Why is this? anyone have the same thing?

HP Recommended

Hi MoRtZkIng,

If that option is not there then unfortunately it is not available on your model.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

How does it's not supported? 

We have the 8300 elite, and the tech sheet: http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03612798/c03612798.pdf

point out exactly this option....

Why it is not there? 

Will a bios update fix it?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.