Question

Tutor
carlitos777
Message 1 of 24 (16,852 Views)

error 1005

i get "error 1005. memory cannot be read" when i try to install successfully my recovery discs. it never completely restores my pc back to factory settings, yet when i turn it on it asks me to insert the cds inside, what can i do? it also shows a "blue screen" or otherwise it shows "error 1005. the memory cannot be read." help please!!!
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 24 (16,851 Views)

Re: error 1005

Hi,

Please identify you HP PC product.

Why haven't you tried restoring the PC from the F11 key on startup to access the HP Recovery Manager?

It is sometimes so much more simple. 

regards,

erico 

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
carlitos777
Message 3 of 24 (16,790 Views)

Hi. thanks for responding. My os is Windows Vista and my pc is an HP Pavilion a6030n. The problem is not fixed after having replaced the hard drive and removing one of the 2 memory rams. Yet, I am very interested in knowing the solution or rather the explanation to error 1005. I have a an antivirus and I have had my pc since 2007 and this problem never happened. A fellow HP product user sent me the following msg: "I have been going through the exact same problem with my HP Pavilion a6030n system. I have two questions: Did you have your Microsoft update set to auto update and install ? And  do you remember if the Blue screen message contained the line "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"?

I have been researching this issue for weeks trying to find a fix for my computer, The most recent talk from the "experts" suggest that this is Nvidia graphics or networking driver conflicts or compatability issues , perhaps even the graphics controller etc. What the current thinking  is  what may be occuring is that Microsoft auto updates replaces HP drivers on the sytem that are not compatible. It is suggested that the drivers or controllers from the updates be uninstalled and prevented from future auto updating of drivers etc. Then reinstall original drivers from the HP site which are germane to your system then if needed update only from HP." Thats what he told me. Can you give any merit to this comment? Should I no longer update my pc by means of Windows Update? Thanks - Carlos

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 24 (16,788 Views)

Hi,

carlitos777 wrote:
Hi. thanks for responding. My os is Windows Vista and my pc is an HP Pavilion a6030n. The problem is not fixed after having replaced the hard drive and removing one of the 2 memory rams. Yet, I am very interested in knowing the solution or rather the explanation to error 1005. I have a an antivirus and I have had my pc since 2007 and this problem never happened. A fellow HP product user sent me the following msg: "I have been going through the exact same problem with my HP Pavilion a6030n system. I have two questions: Did you have your Microsoft update set to auto update and install ? And  do you remember if the Blue screen message contained the line "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"?

I have been researching this issue for weeks trying to find a fix for my computer, The most recent talk from the "experts" suggest that this is Nvidia graphics or networking driver conflicts or compatability issues , perhaps even the graphics controller etc. What the current thinking  is  what may be occuring is that Microsoft auto updates replaces HP drivers on the sytem that are not compatible. It is suggested that the drivers or controllers from the updates be uninstalled and prevented from future auto updating of drivers etc. Then reinstall original drivers from the HP site which are germane to your system then if needed update only from HP." Thats what he told me. Can you give any merit to this comment? Should I no longer update my pc by means of Windows Update? Thanks - Carlos

The statement does have merit.  HP drivers are tested and proven for the appropriate HP PC's or laptops. Stick with what has been proven to be stable in your PS's OS.

The practice I have followed for years has been to use either drivers from the manufacturer ( NVIDIA or AMD\ATI as appropriate to the video graphic solution used) or the original drivers. Microsoft "WHQL" drivers from the update site have definitely been major contributors to OS crashes and lockups that I have resolved. I do not use the automatic backup setting at all.

Murphy's law certainly applies in this case. If it ain't broke don't fix it or it will surely break".

Just because Microsoft says there is an update available doesn't mean we all have to be lemmings following blindly over a cliff. :smileyhappy:  I always wait for a while ( at least weeks) after a major update or service pack has been released by Microsoft. I read the blogs to find out if there have been major issues and that strategy has kept me from having OS problems. Every once in a while go to Administrative tools and use the Event Viewer logs to see how your OS is doing. You can use a free crash dump analysis utility program called WhoCrashed? to get  easily understandable information towards resolving issues that you are facing with your PC.

regards,

erico 

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
carlitos777
Message 5 of 24 (16,769 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, thanks a lot for your comment (it has really opened my eyes). Yet, it makes me wish I hadn't installed the Windows Updates I installed yesterday. But, can you elaborate on the following and thus put my worry to rest: are updates titled "Update for Windows Vista (K??????)" or "Security Update for Windows Vista (K??????)" possibly sources for OS crashes as well? Or are just updates that deal with NVIDIA and AMD/ATI or WHQL responsible for OS crashes related to Windows Updates? In addition, what does WHQL mean? Those Windows Updates which can cause OS crashes are only those concerning drivers, right? In essence, thanks for the advice in regards to Event Viewer. (And before I forget, pardon my ignorance, but how do you utilize Event Viewer?)

Thanks - Carlos 

Message Edited by carlitos777 on 11-10-2009 05:48 AM
Student
xxxxxxxx
Message 6 of 24 (16,633 Views)

I too encountered ERROR 1005 when trying to use the system recovery disks to reset my e9110T system to the original Vista Home Premium factory image.

The System Recovery proceedure got to 66% and then issued the ERROR 1005 message and stopped.   It turned out to be cheese or something like that on my DVD #2. 

So.. you might want to have a close look at your recovery disks to insure that they are clean and not scratched.

Good luck.

Student
Message 7 of 24 (15,508 Views)

i get "error 1005. memory cannot be read" when i try to install successfully my recovery discs. it never completely restores my pc back to factory settings, yet when i turn it on it asks me to insert the cds inside, what can i do? it also shows a "blue screen" or otherwise it shows "error 1005. the memory cannot be read." help please!!!

Student
westcoaster
Message 8 of 24 (12,944 Views)

Error 1005

I ordered the reboot discs - because I didnt make my own and they arrived this morning for 50$ - now I get to 76 percent on the first one and get ERROR 1005 - contact HP support.  So again I phone India and go through it all and they want me to purchase a care package for technical support.  Why would I buy this and spend more $ if my computer is maybe toast?  Any ideas - I don't know what Im doing, obviously others have a similar problem, Im no computer expert.

Top Student
RogerMoreno
Message 9 of 24 (12,775 Views)

Hello 

I'm sorry to ask  but  did you resolve your 1005 error ?

I'm asking that because i have the same problem , i bought a Compaq  Presario CQ60 (came with win Vista),   about 2 years ago, and when the first time that i run the  notebook, i made quickly the Recovery Disk dvd (and keep it safely), but about some time (+/- 1 year and half)  the notebook start to freeze many times.

Then i thougth was better to recover with the factory default.

But when i started the recovery disk....it stopped at middle and appears an "Error 1005" in the screen, not asking for the 2nd dvd

Could anyone help me with that error ? Because i don't know what it means..

Thank you veru much

Roger

Student
Diptesh
Message 10 of 24 (10,341 Views)

Hi,

Did anyone solve this error?

I have Compaq CQ50 and running Vista Home Premium. I am getting 1005 error at 85% after inserting disc 2. I thinks discs are just fine, because I ran disc copy and it copied disc successfully without error.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation