Question

Student
dannylb
Message 1 of 2 (1,657 Views)

error code hd 521-2w

Pavilion a1410n failed to start Windows.  Hard drive failed self test and came up with code hd 521-2w. Can I attempt a recovery? I have four discs. One labled recovery tools ( I created it) and three labled system recovery. Can I just do a recovery from the partition? Or,  Is a new hard drive needed? If so,  is there any way to retrieve the data of the failed drive, maybe hook it up as a slave on another pc?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (1,644 Views)

Re: error code hd 521-2w

Hi,

It owuld look like the Hard Drive is failing and will need o be replaced.

One possible way to try and retrieve your files from a non-booting drive is to follow the process detailed in the link below.  The Ubuntu operating system CD you create can run from the CD alone ( ie it doesn't have to install on the Hard Drive ) and I've often found it to be successful in retrieving data even from a failing Hard Drive.  When you've created the CD, follow the instructions and see if you can back up your existing files. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation