firewire for new computer (1315 Views)
Top Student
gooddogs74
Message 1 of 8 (1,315 Views)

firewire for new computer

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I just purchased a  pavilion slimline s5220y pc.  I need a way to connect it to my older ipod which is firewire only.  I purchased a card to put in the computer, and I am not sure it will fit (but I don't know much about the insides of computers.  Can someone please help me with this?  Thank you.  Ironically, my old slow computer had a firewire port right on the front.  

Teacher
tvccs
Message 2 of 8 (1,305 Views)

Re: firewire for new computer

Here is the page for your system.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=NY543AA

Here is the page for your motherboard.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01386897

The onboad modem takes one of the PCI-X1 slots.  It appears a PCI or PCIx1 firewire card would fit.  Remove the side panel of the computer with the power off after grounding yourself and insert the card into the available open slot.  Be sure it's seated properly and fits snuggly against the port/case as the other card does.  Put the system back together and turn it back on, and Windows should install generic firewire drivers automatically.

Teacher
tvccs
Message 3 of 8 (1,304 Views)

And here is a link to the HP Upgrade Guide for your system.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01859458/c01859458.pdf

Top Student
gooddogs74
Message 4 of 8 (1,293 Views)

tvccs,

Thank you very much.  I am definitely a novice and the pictures and drawings help and hopefully once I look in there it will be more clear..  So if I am reading this correctly,  I have one space left that will take PCI and one that will take PCI express.  I had already purchased a card called Ultra 7 Port Firewire/USB 2.0 PCI card.  Does this sound right ?  If so, I will give it a try!   I might open up my old computer first and take a look around before I get brave enough to open the new one.  Thanks again.  

Top Student
gooddogs74
Message 5 of 8 (1,270 Views)

New development.  Opened up computer and there is a fan and some other stuff blocking the PCI port.  Soooo, there are two PCI express 1x ports.  One appears empty but it doesn't seem like there is a place on the outside for the plugs to stick out.  The other one has a phone jack coming out of it.  Can I remove the one with the phone jack safely since we are not using it, or will this screw up other things in the computer?  Thank you.

Grad Student
gkdiamond
Message 6 of 8 (1,255 Views)

[ Edited ]

There seems to be a mix-up between the product specifications and the motherboard documentation for your PC. The motherboard shows that your computer has 1 PCI, 2 PCIe x1 and 1 PCIe x16 ports but the product specifications show your PC with only 1 PCIe x1 and 1 PCIe x16 port. There should be no fan in the way of the PCI port, it would be at the very bottom of your PC case if you actually have one, the fans are mounted in the upper top half of the case. Only the PCI port will work with the card you purchased so you need to take a good look at the motherboard from the link provided above to see if your computer actually has one. From your last reply it sounds like it does not. Look at Figure 1: layout - at the bottom just below the BATT (battery) there is a long rectangular connector labeled PCI 1. That is where you would need to install the card. If that is not your motherboard then you will need to exchange or return the card and get a PCI Express x1 (or PCIe x1) card. Then you can remove the modem card (the one with the phone jack) and replace it with your new Firewire PCI express card. You don't really need all those extra USB ports that your computer already has. Here's one of the cheaper ones at Newegg that would work fine for you, has good reviews and supports your Windows 7 operating system.

Top Student
gooddogs74
Message 7 of 8 (1,224 Views)

OK,

There is definitely something (maybe not a fan) covering up the PCI port--I looked inside briefly the other day, but I don't want to open it back up until I have to.  I will look closer when I install the card.  I returned the PCI card and have ordered a PCI express card with a low profile bracket ( I bought one the other day, but only had a regular bracket and they said it wouldn't fit).  I guess these slimline computers have to squeeze everything in them?   So, I am waiting to get that one from Amazon (I believe it is Syba? brand).  Sounds like it is OK to remove the modem with no problems?  Thank you.  

Top Student
gooddogs74
Message 8 of 8 (1,200 Views)

Update:  got firewire card with low profile bracket.  Installed in space where 56K modem was.  Works great, no problems.  Hooked my ipod right up.  Thank you for your help.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation