Question

Student
carolking25
Message 1 of 2 (266 Views)

hard drive

i have a pavilion a305w desktop and i need to replace my hard drive after looking at ebay some say older models can only take a 160 gig hard drive and newer models there is no limit on hard drives. so can my pc take more then 160 gigs ? any info would be appreciated. tks

Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 2 of 2 (193 Views)

Re: hard drive

Hello carolking25!: I just got back from looking at the specs to your PC.

if the information is correct then the only way your model can accept anything bigger than the 40GB HD is by

1. upgrade your version of XP to Service Pack 3

2. get a BIOS flash upgrade to accommodate this upgrade

3. get a program such as Partition Magic or Partition Commander to recognize the bigger drive

this is due to the HD setup recognizes a new algorithm called 48LBA which enables formatted HD's to go beyond the 137GB limit without subdividing it into separate partitions

now as for #2; that is frought with danger because if you don't do it exactly right you could lose your computer

4. if you're lucky you could find a used copy of Windows Vista & install it to also circumvent this limit

but you need to download the necessary drivers from HP for the computer to run normally.

good luck

hope this enlightens & helps you

spacechild

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation