Re: help me choose a processor (660 Views)
Tutor
colklink
Message 11 of 16 (731 Views)

Re: help me choose a processor

so your saying i can upgrade my motherboard if i get more RAM? that would be nice, i thought you said i couldnt upgrade anything at all.
Provost
erico
Message 12 of 16 (727 Views)

Nope. I said you could upgrade to a faster (relatively speaking) processor (the Phenom 9600). Your motherboard and its BIOS are the limiting constraints. You can't upgrade your RAM to faster DDR2 sticks. The DDR2 modules that you buy must be guaranteed compatible sticks from a manufacturer like Kingston or another one of the big outfits. You can't, generally speaking, mix memory modules. All of the modules must be the same size and configuration and same manufacturer. Otherwise it probably won't boot into Windows at all.  Your motherboard will not accept the gaming variety of DDR2 (i.e. 1066 mhz or faster memsticks).

You can truly upgrade your pc by replacing your motherboard with a gaming motherboard or replacing it with a custom built gaming system (i.e. an AlienWare PC).

A slow processor and slow DDR2 sticks will slow down a fast video card. You will see the effects when you run a graphics intensive game like the ones you like to play.

If you have 2GB of RAM you can upgrade to 4GB. The downside is that if your OS is 32-bit then Windows will only recognize and use @3.25 GB of RAM.  64-bit OS will recognize and use all up to the max that your motherboard has listed as maximum in product information.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
colklink
Message 13 of 16 (716 Views)

ok well this is what ive found out. if i make my own PC, im gonna take out some parts of this one(9800 GT, 650w psu, dvd drive), and that means i will only have to buy RAM, a motherboard, and a case right? otherwise, what will a gaming motherboard do to this PC along with adding up to 4gb of RAM? will it help me much?

Provost
erico
Message 14 of 16 (706 Views)

Basically your list is correct. You will need a Windows Operating System as well. You will also need Thermal Interface Material for the CPU. You will also need a CPU cooler, unless you wish to keep using the stock one. You will need an anti-static wrist band as well. That is so you don't brick your CPU or DDR stick with a static discharge from your body.

Do you plan on staying AMD or changing over to Intel? Intel is the current favorite. I use both Intel Core2Duo and AMD  X2 setups.

The difference between your current PC and a gaming PC is like night and day. If you choose the proper mix of CPU/motherboard/RAM and PSU and configure the RAM/CPU voltages and memory secondary timings properly you will be amazed.

I take it that you feel confident enough to do this. Scratchbuilt systems are not for everyone, since not every person is technically adept. Remember what I said about OverClockersclub. It is a wealth of information. You won't get handfed information from the forum. You can get RAM setup info from the manufacturer, whether it be OCZ or Kingston or others. Stick with the recommended mix of CPU/mobo/DDR that you see forum members having great success with. That way you won't waste time and mone.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
colklink
Message 15 of 16 (687 Views)

and there is another thing i wanted to ask. when i play call of duty 4, my gold ak47(or any gold gun in that matter) has some blurry textures on it and i run the game on full settings, even textures. the only thing i dont run on full is my resolution which is set at 1024x768. i got a 9800 GT, is there anything i can do to maybe fix this? if you know a command that i could put in the console maybe?
Provost
erico
Message 16 of 16 (660 Views)

Try the software that is downloadable from Nvidia. You will be able to choose from a set of game profiles. I would recommend that you chhose the profile that comes closest to the game you want to play. Maybe you will be lucky and find your game amongst the downloadable profiles. Go to Nvidia and download the most recent driver here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation