help me choose a processor (1543 Views)
Tutor
colklink
Message 1 of 16 (1,543 Views)

help me choose a processor

hi guys, i got this a6655f(Pavilion speical edition) for christmas, upgraded the video card and power supply to a 9800 GT and antec 650w to run my games(cod4/waw, company of heroes), and cod4 and waw seem to lag quite a bit. i found my processor is a Phenom X4 1.8ghz quad core which i would think is holding back my framerates. i was on newegg.com and found a Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0ghz 4x512kb L2 cache 6mb L3 cache socket AM2+ 125w quad core black edition. would this be possible to install on my PC? if not what would be another good processor i could get? thanks,

Matt

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 16 (1,522 Views)

Re: help me choose a processor

The Deneb is not supported by your motherboard. An AMD socket AM2 Phenom up to 9600 (up to 95 watt TDP) is the max CPU you can install.

You stated that your framerates are low. I would suspect something other than the CPU as the culprit.

Your PC is the Eco friendly Phoenix Special Edition. It was built for tame stuff like Home theater and productivity software and not for graphics intensive games. You are running into a bottleneck in the form of the motherboard itself.

It will never be a beast of a gaming system with the motherboard that is installed in it.  Your motherboard's BIOS does not have the options to tweak the memory secondary timings nor the CPU multiplier or voltage adjustments for memory or CPU. Those BIOS options are what you need to be able to upgrade you DDR2 memsticks to gaming quality modules.

Sorry to bear bad news.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
colklink
Message 3 of 16 (1,511 Views)

so are you saying i cant upgrade my PC at all? processor or motherboard? if this is the case im going to geek squad and im gonna demand they take this PC back because they said it would be perfect for games with the 9800 GT and antec 650w psu upgrade.
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 16 (1,500 Views)

[ Edited ]

Geek Squad is more of a sales force than anything. Do a Google search on Geek Squad. You will find considerably more complaints than praise.   Adding a so-so power supply (Antec PSUs are really not that great) and decent video card to a motherboard that has built in limitations can't make it into something that it is not. If you put in a different manufacturer's motherboard it won't be the same PC at all. It would seem to be a waste though, having spent your money already based on poor advice.

The press releases on your PC touted its Eco friendly features, not its gaming ability.The Geek Squad guys who actually know anything build their own gaming PCs from scratch.

Your new Eco friendly Green PC is not a gaming computer in that it is not upgradeable to the standard you want for the processor and graphics intensive games that you like to play. I like HP PCs but they aren't gaming PCs. Look below at my signature. I don't believe there is a game that is out that my ASUS P5Q-E and Core2Duo E8400 (@3 GHZ stock clocks) won't rock.

Message Edited by erico on 04-24-2009 02:55 PM

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
colklink
Message 5 of 16 (1,492 Views)

so I cant upgrade it at all?

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 16 (1,481 Views)

The best you can do is an AM2+ Phenom X4 9600. It runs at 2.3 Ghz, which is actually a vast improvement over the base Phenom's CPU's 1.8 GHz. 

You can't install faster DDR sticks because your motherboard won't accept them. Gaming (Overclocking )memory sticks won't let your pc boot into Windows. That stinks.

You can install a better video card than the one the Geek Squad recommended.  You can't install a dual GPU video card because it won't physically fit due to a lack of room and closeness of components in your pc's case.

That is pretty much all you can do short of building up your own pc from using the HP case with a new (another manufacturer not branded HP) motherboard and fast DDR2 sticks to match the new motherboard.

Tutor
colklink
Message 7 of 16 (1,475 Views)

thanks erico, but im not done yet. so your saying i can upgrade my motherboard or othwerwise i can only go with that 9600? if so what motherboard would be sufficient and how much would it cost me at newegg.com? if i just go with that 9600, would it bring up my fps and how much would it cost me? thanks
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 8 of 16 (1,455 Views)

Get a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P or UD3R to overclock a Q8200 north of 3.4GHz.  You will need quality DDR2 1066 RAM (Crucial Ballistix or equivalent) to overclock this chip.  A Radeon HD 4850 should have plenty of power to run the latest games.  Put the electronics in a well-ventilated case (Antec 300).  A good local buider should be able to build this rig for 800-900.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=HardwareDPC&thread.id=3319&page=3

If you have a fat wallet, then go with the Phenom II x4 955 and Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (AM3).  Use the direct-contact heat pipe cooler Xigmatek S1283 to overclock this processor north of 3.7GHz.  Add the Radeo 4890 1GB to run the most demanding games in their full glory.  This will set you back 1200. 

A cheap solution is to overclock a Radeon HD 4830 up to 700MHz core speed.  Newegg had the Powercolor last month for 65 after rebate.

Provost
erico
Message 9 of 16 (1,437 Views)

[ Edited ]

The 9600 will not bring up your FPS very much. The problem is that your mobo has limitations built in that affect your gaming experience. You would run into a bottleneck at the Front Side Bus and memory bus as they are not tweakable (voltage or mhz)

Are you considering scratch building it yourself?  Do you  have experience enough to do it yourself?

It is  satisfying but considerably more costly to build your own pc compared to buying a prebuilt one.

One problem you face is that even if you plain jane the OS installation on the hdd in your HP pc, you can't just pop the hard disk into another system expecting to be able to use the operating system.

the Windows OS license is only valid for the system that you purchased and not one that you build.

Retail Operating System @$150-300.00 (DVD not OEM for System builders)

A decent case will cost you @$100-300.00

PCI-e Video card $100-350.00

PSU : @$150-400.00

DDR2 or DDR3 (Depends on the motherboard chipset) (1066 mhz) Memory modules @$60-200.00

Gaming Motherboard: @$130.00 and above

CPU: @$170.00 and above

CPU Cooler: @$15.00 and up for air. H20 is @$90.00 and above. Peltier coolers are even more costly.

Case Cooling Fans @$10-20.00

What I listed above are generic gaming PC system build components. It would all depend on your wallet and which CPU manufacturer you prefer and which chipset  that is rated best.  There are a plethora of decisions you will have to make but they are all your own decisions to make.

Some people almost go broke trying to build a killer gaming rig. Don't be one of the poor souls who get addicted to building their PC.

To get an idea of actual costs browse the Newegg.com website. They do have combo deals which can bring down the cost. If you really want to do this, I recommend Overclockersclub.com 

DIY-Street.com merged with OverClockersclub about a year or so ago. Join the forum or just lurk, browse, read and learn. Take a look at which combinations of motherboard/CPU/RAM members are using. Use Microsoft Excel to spec out the price of a build.

Message Edited by erico on 04-25-2009 11:52 AM

Provost
erico
Message 10 of 16 (1,416 Views)

I'll take a look tomorrow to see which motherboard would do well with your existing CPU. You will have to upgrade the memory. I think both Royal and I jumped the gun.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation