Question

Student
oask123
Message 1 of 2 (657 Views)

how do i add a second sata hard disk to my hp pavilion p6240f desktop pc?

Hi, I have my hp 6240 for a couple of years and now I am trying to add a second hard disk to it.

Once I connected the second SATA disk, it will not boot and will not recognize even my original HD.  Any thing or setting I need to do?  Bios has SATA controller of IDE set not advanced Sata nor Raid.

As a matter of fact, I was trying to replace my laptop hard disk and since this new Hitachi (Toshiba) 320GB HD was not recognized by my laptop at all, I thought I need to format it first.  So I tried to connect to my PC in order to format it.  But, after I connected the new HD to my PC, my pc would not boot at all.  Checked the bios setting, non of the hard disk is present any more.  Take new HD out and everything is fine.  SATA port is ok because I connect the new SATA cable to my DVD and it works.

Any help is appreciated.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 2 (622 Views)

Re: how do i add a second sata hard disk to my hp pavilion p6240f desktop pc?

oask123 wrote: Hi, I have my hp 6240 for a couple of years and now I am trying to add a second hard disk to it.

Once I connected the second SATA disk, it will not boot and will not recognize even my original HD.  Any thing or setting I need to do?  Bios has SATA controller of IDE set not advanced Sata nor Raid.

As a matter of fact, I was trying to replace my laptop hard disk and since this new Hitachi (Toshiba) 320GB HD was not recognized by my laptop at all, I thought I need to format it first.  So I tried to connect to my PC in order to format it.  But, after I connected the new HD to my PC, my pc would not boot at all.  Checked the bios setting, non of the hard disk is present any more.  Take new HD out and everything is fine.  SATA port is ok because I connect the new SATA cable to my DVD and it works.

Any help is appreciated.

Hello oask123, You might want to reconnect the new hard drive and reboot the system and enter the BIOS and see if the new hard drive is listed in the hard drive group.

If so, make sure the original hard drive is listed in the group as the first hard drive. Save the settings and reboot.

If you manage to get the system to boot, you would need to go to the Control Panel, Admininstrative Tools, System Management, Storage, Disk Management, and initialize the hard drive and create a partition (New Volume), and format the New Volume.

You should be able to use the hard drive then. You may have to Share the drive as well as Share the C: drive also.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation