Question

Honor Student
biggles1000
Message 1 of 2 (7,445 Views)

hp wireless keyboard and mouse no longer working

computer: hp pavilion p6565uk

Other computer info: HP gold renew, had it for less than 6 months

Right, my PC had started having ridiculously regular BSODs, which was found to be mostly due to a dodgy graphics driver update. The only solution (believe me, everything was tried) left was to re-install windows, so I backed up my large amount of irreplacable data across several smaller hard drives and wiped the PC.

The first time I re-installed windows, I used the recovery partition. However, that install also developed BSODs fairly quikly, and the HP wireless keyboard and mouse stopped working. So, as I had only had that install for a day and hadn't settled in, I decided to re-install windows again.

This time, I made sure that it used the recovery discs that I had made a few months back rather than the recovery partition, so as to make sure that it was COMPLETELY fresh. Worked fine and smoothly, only one BSOD, related to TV tuner drivers, which I then updated, along with all the other hardware updates that were manufacturer specific, APART from the Nvidia graphic one, as I didn't fancy risking more BSODs again (the windows update Nvidia drivers had also been an issue). PC works fine, but I then have to go somewhere for a week, so leave the computer in the hands of a friend so that he could use it in typical day-to-day scenarios to see if any more BSODs occured (they didn't). When I gave it to him, it was all working fine.

However, on the second day that I was away, he says he finally got round to switching it on and texts me to say the keyboard isn't working. I ask which usb port he has the receiver plugged into, and I tell him to plug it into the rear top-left one, the one I always use. He then says it works, but it turns out it didn't, he spent the whole week with a wired mouse and the onscreen keyboard. So, when I retrieve the computer today after returning, I tidy up all my cables and plug the PC in. It boots normally, but the mouse and keyboard don't work. Well, that's not STRICTLY true. The keyboard works on the BIOS, yet it doesn't work on the Windows login screen or any further.

The wireless keyboard and mouse I have are the HP ones that came with the PC (so you can see images on the p6565uk product page), it's the slim rectangular keyboard, with numpad and volume keys, and the slim-ish mouse, with the battery door on the underneath. Underneath of keyboard says model no.: KG-0851, mouse says MG-0856.

I followed the HP instructions for re-syncing the wireless keyboard and mouse instructions. (instructions page) Step 3, the light comes on on the receiver. Step 4, light also goes on again. I have no other wireless keyboards or mice in the house, let alone the vicinity. So, anybody have any ideas? I really don't want to have to re-install Windows a third time, as I doubt that would fix the problem, the same would happen once again. Also, "buy a new keyboard and mouse" isn't really a sollution, as all you pro help advisers know. This keyboard and mouse should work. You don't buy a car which then breaks for no reason and the manufacturer tells you "pfft, just buy another car, not our problem". It is their problem, they made the car.

i tried installing this driver, but it said it failed.

In case you were wondering, this was posted via the computer with the issues, using an old USB wireled mouse and the onscreen keyboard, though I typed the bulk of the text on my Touch Pro2 and then sent it over to the PC for the sake of my sanity. I don't have any functioning usb keyboard, and my ps/2 to usb adapter doesn't seem to work.

thank you for taking the time to read all this, i know i ramble, but i like to give all the information.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 2 (7,412 Views)

Re: hp wireless keyboard and mouse no longer working

Biggles1000, you don't have to appologize for the length of your post.  It saves us asking a bunch of questions.

You didn't mention updating the driver for the keyboard.  Here is the Software & Driver page for the computer.  In the section titled Driver - Original, there is a driver that is dated later than the release date of the computer.  I suggest installing it to see if that corrects the problem.  It may be different than the one in the Recovery discs.  I don't know for certain, however.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!