Question

Student
OptimusPrime73
Message 1 of 2 (494 Views)

i have a hp pavilion p2 m#p2-1113w . i want to upgrade the motherboard and cpu and have pci slots

I want to know what kind of case environment and motherboard type options i have at upgrading the current motherboard in my unit. i want better performance and raid capabilities.  M# p2-1113w

Master's Graduate
ibfrenchy
Message 2 of 2 (488 Views)

Re: i have a hp pavilion p2 m#p2-1113w . i want to upgrade the motherboard and cpu and have pci slo

Short Answer - go buy a new PC.

The Case for the p2 series is a little smaller than most.

here is the link to your PC's site.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03206025&cc=ad&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_ca...

The current motherboard form factor is Mini-ITX.

A couple things to remember -

1. Swapping the motherboar on this PC will make it a non-HP PC and you will not be able to run the recovery on that PC. You can run the OS as it is, but if you are going for RAID you'll be wanting to re-load the OS, so you'll need to purchase a retail copy of windows.

2. The Back Plane on the PC will be different if you swap the motherboard and you may need to change the cover as well. Kind of tricky to get off but can be done.

3. My Personal opinion - don't do it. The only components that you will be able to use are the chassis, hard drive, Optical drive and RAM (maybe) - the Power Supply is external, and won't be useable on a new motherboard. And with a purchase of a new OS it is going to be expensive. I'd recommend just purchasing a new PC that meets your needs

I'm a HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation