Message 1 of 2 (282 Views)

i have an hp s3200n. i'm thinking about upgrading the ram to 4gb, putting in an ssd... replace the hard drive it originally came with, and installing Windows 7.

I know the limitation for the ram said 2gb, but is that only because it came with Vista? I'm assuming if I install 64-bit Windows 7 it will read it fine. And are there any limitations to the SSD that I wish to buy? I'm assuming the motherboard is just regular SATA and not SATA 2 or SATA 3.

Any information would be really helpful, thanks.

Message 2 of 2 (242 Views)

Re: i have an hp s3200n. i'm thinking about upgrading the ram to 4gb, putting in an ssd...

Below are the motherboard specs for your PC:

You can install 2 x 2 GB of PC2-6400 memory for a total of 4 GB.

Theoretically the nForce 430 chipset should be able to run a SATA II HDD at the 3.0 GB/S speed, but I see conflicting info such as this post on the notebook forum.

Download and run the free PC Wizard 2010 and see what it reports on your controller.

Your PC has the hardware to support windows 7.

I don't really know much about SSD's. I assume one will work in your PC.

Personally, I think an SSD is not a cost effective upgrade for your model.  They are too expensive a proposition to install in your PC. I would be concerned that if the controller is not SATA II capable, that would adversely affect the performance of your expensive SSD.

If it were me, I would put the money in a newer PC that could benefit from installing a SSD, have better graphics, a faster processor, more and faster memory--and already come with Windows 7.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation