Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have just replaced a motherboard under warranty and am trying to find the utility to change the S/N in the BIOS, have got a location for the notebook equivalent but cannot find the PC version using a USB memory stick.

I have CSN login access but cannot find the correct utility to perform the change.

PC is:

HP Compaq 6200 Pro SFF

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

[Personal Information Removed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is what you need to do...This model doesn't need the asset tag or serial # change utility...

After entering BIOS Setup by hitting the F10 key, press Ctrl+A to open additonal fields in Security>System IDs menu.

Enter your PC's serial number in Asset Tag Number and Chassis Serial Number fields.

Save changes there and again when you exit the BIOS.

Paul

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is what you need to do...This model doesn't need the asset tag or serial # change utility...

After entering BIOS Setup by hitting the F10 key, press Ctrl+A to open additonal fields in Security>System IDs menu.

Enter your PC's serial number in Asset Tag Number and Chassis Serial Number fields.

Save changes there and again when you exit the BIOS.

Paul

HP Recommended
That was a perfect explanation and it worked on my issue as well
HP Recommended

Hello Paul.-

I have a DV4-1000 series with same problem. Is using the mother board p/n: 576944-001. I just replaced and then a message error appears asking me the electronic serial number. Inside the BIOS there is not any field to save that number,

Is there any software or application to save the new serial number?

Thank you in advance.

Frank

HP Recommended

Hi, Frank:

Unfortunately there is no method for a consumer to add a serial number to your notebook as far as I know.

You will need to contact HP technical support and bring your PC to an authorized HP service center and have a tech 'Tatoo" the BIOS with the serial number using HP's proprietary DMI tool.

Paul

HP Recommended

I have an HP Compaq 8200 SFF that I switched out the motherboard on and now there are now serial numbers in the new motherboard's BIOS.

Is there an easy option for me to enter the numbers back in?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, there is.  Use the same procedure I posted above in the solution post that is shaded in green.

The 8200 Elite uses the same BIOS as the 6200 Pro.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul!

When I hit Ctrl+A I thought it would bring up a prompt or something, but then I looked under the security section and found it.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have same problem with my HP 6735s but this solution did not worked for me 😞

Went into bios by pressing F10 > Security > System IDs 

Found three options stated below:

1. Notebook Asset Tag

2. Notebook Ownership Tag

3. Notebook Ownership Tag

I have entered the s/n gven at the bottom of laptop. But its still showing the same "Invalid Serial Number".

Can anyone please suggest anything to fix the issue.

Note: Laptops motherboard was faulty and it has been replaced with another one recently. 

Thanks in advance. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.