Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi:

There are no methods for a user to add or change a serial number in any HP business notebook. 

It needs to be done by an authorized HP service center using a proprietary BIOS DMI tool that is not available to the public.

Paul

HP Recommended

For the HP Compaq 6200 there is the following items that I need to fullfill in BIOS Menu Security - System ID:

Asset tag:

Ownership tag:

Chasis Serial Number:

Product Name:

Enter family Name:

SKU Number:

Enter Build ID:

Enter feature Byte:

Keyboard: US

For the keyboard default is US but for the other ones where do I find the information?

HP Recommended

Perfect.  Thanks for the fix.  Saved a ton of time.

HP Recommended

after i replace the lcd turned himself why, I'm laptop serial number on the first viewing, my laptop hp 6530s

HP Recommended

Hi, Paul.

I have a new motherboard for Compaq CQ56, the problem is the same - invalid serial number.

Ctrl+A not work. Old BIOS version F.06, New BIOS version F.14.

There is a solution for this model?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, with notebook PC's you have to take the PC in to an authorized HP service center and have the BIOS tattooed with the applicable info (serial #, etc.), using a proprietary BIOS DMI tool, which is not available for download.

HP Recommended

Just had this issue myself after replacing a motherboard on a Compaq 6200 Small Form Factor.

As Paul said:

Assett Tag: Serial Number

Chassis Serial Number: Serial Number

Build ID: Label on the bottom of the computer - BID

Feature Byte: Label on the bottom of the computer - FeatureByte

**** Case Sensitive. ***** 

**** Do not include spaces. ****

**** Includes every character on the label. ****

**** May have a '.y6' or something similar at the end. ****

**** That IS included. *****

The Build ID and FeatureByte are essential if the computer is ever reimaged especially for upgrades to Win 8. If those fields aren't filled out, you'll have trouble with reinstalling/upgrading Windows.

Here's a picture of the labeling. Hope this helps!

HPInvalidSerialNumber.jpg

HP Recommended

thank you very much

HP Recommended

You say that it is a notbook? If so you will have to use the Branding tool from the HP Tech site.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Need some help. Cannot get in to the bios by pressing F10, I removed the internal battery to try and reset. After that the screen comes up with invalid bios settings press enter to continue. After pressing enter I still get System board 00A Product information not valid.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.