Question

Honor Student
McBroom
Message 1 of 4 (219 Views)

looking for a new Graphic card for my computadora.

[ Edited ]

Hi i have a HP Pavilion HPE h8-1151sc ,

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=se&lc=sv&dlc=sv&docname=c03145441

I'm looking for a new graphic card, but i have no clue what to buy. 

I have around 800-1000 usd to spend but no brain, so any help would be great. 

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 4 (178 Views)

Re: looking for a new Graphic card for my computadora.

[ Edited ]

McBroom, welcome to the forum.

Things must be very expensive where you live.  You can buy an excellent video card in the U.S. for around $300.00 or less.  I will help you find one.  This will help you learn more about computers and how to choose components.

There are two main things to consider when buying a desktop video card: 1) the wattage required to run the card properly and 2) the length of the video card.  The PSU in your computer is 460W.  The newer mid-level cards require at least 400W to run properly.  So, you will look for one that is under the 460W.  This is normally found in the "Specifications" section at Newegg.  The case of your computer is mid-size.  It is best to buy a card that in no longer than 9" in length.  This, too, can be found in the "Specifications" section.

There are two main manufacturers of graphic processors (GPU): AMD and nVidea.  I personally like AMD cards because of their Catalyst Control Center.  It allows you to control the fan speed of the card and overclock it if you desire.  nVidea make some very good cards, also.  Some of the cards require additional power connectors on the end of the card.  Your PSU most likely doesn't have the appropriate cable for these cards.

I like XFX, EVGA, Sapphire and PNY cards in that order.  Here is an EVGA video card that will work for you.  You should read the Customer Reviews to see what users have to say about it.  If you decide against this card, it will give you a good example what you should buy.

If you have further questions, please let me know.  I will be watching for any reply.

Please click "KUDOS" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 4 (160 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, maybe i should have said what i do on the computer, incase that changes your advice.

At this time i use two monitors, so i can play games (mostly world of warcraft) and watch movies/youtube at the sametime.

I have mid video settings on both wow and youtube, still get some lag with both up.  I would like to be able to watch/play on a higher resolution and maybe have a third monitor. 

Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 4 (150 Views)

Thank you for the additional information.  You definitely put a computer through its paces.

The problem that we are going to have is, matching your needs to the size and wattage of the card.  Most of the highend cards are 9.3" to 12" in length.  I believe that your best bet is to find the card that you like and get the measurements.  Then, you can make a template from cardboard to fit into the space.  Remember that you must choose a card that doesn't have additional power connectors.  Some of them have two; one 6-pin and one 8-pin.  You can't use these without upgrading the PSU.  As I said, I don't believe that your PSU has either one of them.  Also, we will have to check the specs of each card carefully to determine if it will possibly run three monitors.

Once you have made the template, let me know the length of the card that will fit.  Do you want to upgrade the PSU?

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!