Question

Jze Top Student
Top Student
Jze
Message 1 of 13 (19,897 Views)

m9250f remote not working after Windows 7 home premium upgrade

I did an in-place upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium. Now my remote does not work.

Under devices and printers it lists "eHome Infrared tranceiver" with an exclamation mark. Double clicking it or using troubleshout shows that it has USB error 43 (device generated an error) and that it somehow lists it as generic USB hub. Updating the driver does not work. I've attempted to use Show all drivers and picking the eHome infrared driver under Microsoft, but then I get warning that the driver is not intended for that device. If I continue regardless then I get USB error 10 (failed to start).

I've logged a support ticked with Microsoft, but have found other users of this specific model (m9250f) have posted a similar problem. If anyone has any information how to resolve this I will greatly appreciate it. I in turn will try and help as many people as possible on the other blogs and forums I've found that have listed the problem. Help me to help thousands, please.

Thank you

J

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 13 (19,907 Views)

Re: m9250f remote not working after Windows 7 home premium upgrade

I do not know of a known solution, but I would try this as it seems to be a failed enumeration in the registry.

1) Right-click eHome Infrared tranceiver in DM and uninstall.

2) Turn off the computer.

3) Open the side panel.

4) Find the wires that run from the back of the card reader to a USB header on the motherboard (or from the extenderboard to the motherboard... or in some setups to the tuner card).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c01823143.jpg

(1 is the extender board scenario with a wire connecting the extender to a header on the mobo.)

5) Disconnect the wire from the motherboard (or tuner).

6) With the IR Receiver hardware disconnected, turn on the computer and let Windows fully start up.

7) Turn it off, reconnect the wires, and start the computer.

Hopefully it re-plug and plays and gets everything in the right order.

Another option might be to try these steps in safe mode.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Jze Top Student
Top Student
Jze
Message 3 of 13 (19,876 Views)

RasterBlaster put me on the right track. My configuration is not exactly like in the picture (the IR receiver is on the front panel with the memory readers and I don't have a board for the external receiver, nor an external receiver). Here is what worked for me. 

• I uninstalled the device from device manager
  • Shut down
  • I detatched ALL usb headers and removed the interface cable to Hauppauge card.
  • Booted \ Started Windows
  • Shut Down
  • I re-attached ONLY the IR\Mem Card Reader panel usb cable. To be safe I attached it to another USB header (it was on header 2 I put it on previously open header 1)
  • Booted
  • Windows detected the infrared remote, but but failed on another device (IR blaster?). I suspect it detected it as an eHome Remote not a Transceiver
  • I wired all my USB cables that I previously detatched (Unfortunatly I found another cable detatched, its black and sturdy and well insulated, may a thermocouple? I found a similar one attached to a control board for the rear fan, but to find where this goes)
  • I plugged in all USB devices (Logitech Headset, Portable Media Drive, HP monitor usb hub, Printer)
  • Booted \ Started Windows
  • Everything runs perfectly now

J

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 4 of 13 (19,784 Views)

Excellent! Thank you very much for taking the time to come back and let the community know what fixed the problem.

For future readers...

In general, IR receivers in Memory card readers are USB devices that connect via internal wiring.

The number one problem I have seen with USB issues is that under certain circumstances the devices become mis-enumerated in the Windows registry. Usually this happens when the system is under heavy load and a device (such as an external memory drive) is plugged in and then quickly removed. For card readers, this is inserting or removing a memory stick before Windows has finished "writing down" in the Current Control Set (and set 1).

Basic troubleshooting for USB devices...

Unplug all devices and restart the computer.

Uninstall the device(s) having issue, restart, and replug.

And if it still doesn't work - Microsoft System Restore to get the old Registry hives back.

For AiO printers... you'll probably need to use a forced uninstaller program.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Jze Top Student
Top Student
Jze
Message 5 of 13 (19,762 Views)

Thanks Rasterblaster

I just need to make a small correction to your steps. You have to uninstall before unplugging otherwise the device doesn't show later to be able to uninstall it. For those that wonder in Device manager there is an "uninstall" button or you can right click the faulty device and select it from the context menu.

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 6 of 13 (19,286 Views)

Student
Jordank14
Message 7 of 13 (17,547 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I know this thread is a few months old, but I've tried everything imaginable to get this fixed and can't seem to get it. I downloaded the HP Remote Solution Application Update v 1.1.12.0 and extracted it. I get to the point of installing it, but I then get this message:

"Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9996)"

This just makes no sense as my computer is a monster. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I'm not savvy enough to start opening up the computer and moving parts around, but would like to get this working. Any advice?

Thanks!

Jze Top Student
Top Student
Jze
Message 8 of 13 (17,497 Views)

[ Edited ]

(this comment accidentally left blank)

Jze Top Student
Top Student
Jze
Message 9 of 13 (17,495 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Jordank14

Check my solution above. I never even bothered to install the update. HP drivers tend to give that message when the driver is for the wrong OS or 32 bit. I've been running fine for months with the standard Microsoft eHome driver.

Don't be affraid to move the cables. Take photos, label cables with tape. The USB headers are marked on the motherboard USB_1 , USB_2 etc. Ask someone that knows the basics of computer hardware. Its really not as scary or risky as it sounds. Easiest way to identify ONE of the headers is to follow the cable from the Protable Media Drive cage down to the motherboard. That should show you what all the USB headers look like. Label the cable with the same name as printed on the motherboard, that way you know where they go. Take photos of every step. 

I just had a problem today where my Personal Media Drive dock didn't work (the USB cable detached from the motherboard header). The usb cable can easily detach from the motherboard and cause the remote to not show up in device manager. If it shows up but as the wrong type or not detected then follow my instructions rewritten below with extra comments

Uninstall the faulty device in device manager. Shut down. Open the case. Detach the USB header (I detatched ALL of them). Boot. Make sure the faulty device is not detected (if it is it means the USB cable is still attached to the header on the motherboard). Shut down. Attach USB headers. To force a driver reload I attached the original cables to different headers (I labeled the cables with tape before I detached them). If you've loaded the wrong driver for the device then attaching the cable to a different slot will help. That should be it.

Student
Graylord
Message 10 of 13 (16,315 Views)

[ Edited ]

So, I have the same problem with an external card reader, using the same software.

Following the solution (except opening the cabinet of course, since it's external) did not work for me.

When the computer has fully booted, the drivers instantly fail installing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation