Question

Top Student
djcarl6
Message 1 of 2 (1,162 Views)

m9500z and nvidia geforce 9500 gs video card issues

I purchased this computer several months ago. It came with an ATI radeon hd4650 video card in it. I started having problems with the video card fan being noisy and turning the monitor screen colors, such as white areas would turn pink or blue or green. I called hp support and they agreed it was a video card problem. they sent me a new card and had a tech come out and install it. Now i have the nvidia geforce 9500gs video card installed. since day one it has had issues. the screen will now go blank when the computer goes into screen saver mode. It also is locking up the computer causing me to do a hard shut down. sometimes i will have to do this 2 to 3 times in a row to get it to restart. when i do get it to restart the first few screens that come up during boot look like they are all garbled up and none of the characters line up. once it gets to windows all is well (for a while anyhow). sometimes it will shut down and restart my computer. When it does finally restart the 'problem reports and solutions' comes up and tells me theres a problem with the nvidia graphics driver. i have checked and it is the currently released driver.

So the question is doesthe problem lie with the card or with the driver? I really hate calling hp since the person on the other end either doesn't listen to what you say or I can't understand them. So if theres a fix without calling them would be appreciated.

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 2 of 2 (1,153 Views)

Re: m9500z and nvidia geforce 9500 gs video card issues

Remove all video drivers.  Download the latest applicable video driver form the Nvidia website.  Reboot PC and boot into safe mode.  Install the new video driver.  If problem persists, then you may have a problem with the video card.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation