Question

Top Student
tapiot
Message 1 of 5 (543 Views)
Accepted Solution

motherboard 8 pin power connector

I just purchased an HP Envy. I thought this was a "pwer" machine but with a bottom of the line video card, I found it was  not. I purchased a GEForce GTX 760 vide card. There were not enough connectors..

So I sent an email to HP, no response. I then purchased a Corsai CX750M power supply.

One pin is not keyed the same as the 8 pin connector on the motherboard.

Is the connector on the motherboard a non-standard configuration?

I've already had to purchase power supply and video card, do I need to go pick up a motherboard somewhere now?

Tim T.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 5 (533 Views)

Re: motherboard 8 pin power connector

Hi,

You might want to review the power supply connectors at this link.  The eight pin PCI EPS motherboard power cable connector is fabicated differently compared to the eight pin PCI Express power cable to avoid the cable connectors going into the wrong connectors on motherboards and also typically PCI-E video cards.  Notice the difference for pin voltages and ground pin outs.

Additionally, the eight pin EPS connector will split into two 4 pin connect to allow the connector to work with motherboards that only have a four pin power connector.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
tapiot
Message 3 of 5 (525 Views)

Thank you. These are PCI connectors so fortunately I didn't force it and turn it on.
Top Student
tapiot
Message 4 of 5 (502 Views)

Saved me from making a very expensive mistake. Everything now plugged in and chugging along. Just wish the 27" monitors had decent resolution and that Win 8.1 would go away and Win 7 magically appear on the machine.

Top Student
MeiksTnT
Message 5 of 5 (339 Views)

Hi, if the power connector on a mother board no longer recognizes the cable. Can it be replaced or does the entire mother board need to be changed?

The power connector cable, the battery and AC adapter works perfectly fine. Another connector cable was plugged into above mentioned mother board with the same result of no power/recognization
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation