Question

Top Student
piverson
Message 1 of 16 (326 Views)

multi-card reader does not read SD cards

I have a HP Pavilon Desktop computer . . .

Model #: p6740f

My multi-card reader will not read SD type cards only. There is no green light when card is plugged in.  I've tried numerous SD cards with no avail yet on my laptop the same SD cards work with no issues.  I believe the portion of the SD reader on my multi-card reader to be bad.  I don't believe there is a fix to this so I need to know how a "replacement" can be ordered - any and all help on this topic is appreciated!

Pete

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 16 (312 Views)

Re: multi-card reader does not read SD cards

Have you tried reinstalling the card reader driver?

What is the operating system that is installed in your dektop PC's hard disk?

have you tried using the HP Support Assistant's Tune-up application?  It should recognize after a run when a device needs a driver and provide a link to an HP approved driver for the card reader media device.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
piverson
Message 3 of 16 (305 Views)

My response to your questions are as follows:

Have you tried reinstalling the card reader driver?  No  - I've ran a driver check utility type of program to check for either out of date drivers or missing drivers and nothing came back to me!

What is the operating system that is installed in your dektop PC's hard disk?  Running Windows 7 64-bit OS

have you tried using the HP Support Assistant's Tune-up application?  It should recognize after a run when a device needs a driver and provide a link to an HP approved driver for the card reader media device.   Yes I have tried HP Support Assistant's Tune-up application but to NO avail.

Pete

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 16 (298 Views)

[ Edited ]

Have you checked in the device manager to see if there is an unknown device or a storage device with a yellow exclamation point next to it?

Try right clicking any device in the device manager and selecting scan for hardware changes. I am curious as to whether or not the media card reader is detected by the operating system as being present.

I will ask my internal contacts to amend the driver download web document to include the sd media card reader driver. It may take a day or so for them to respond so please be patient. Keep an eye on the driver download web page for updates,

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Top Student
piverson
Message 5 of 16 (287 Views)

Yes I have checked Device Manager and the only device listed with yellow exclamation point next to it is under "other device" and labeled as officejet 4500 G510n-z.  NO other devices have an yellow exclamation point next to it other than my printer from HP!

Pete

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 16 (294 Views)

OK.

We will have to wait until HP makes the driver available in the web support portal.

Top Student
piverson
Message 7 of 16 (289 Views)

We don't know when that will be available or if it will become available. In talking with HP, Glen of technical support, I did not get the feeling of any driver happening soon.  HP recommendation is to use another external multi-card reader and hook it up to one of my USB ports which is currently what I am doing to be able to read a standard or HC  SD card.  HP to me seems to be fine with this alternative ..   sad in a way!

Pete

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 16 (268 Views)

You can find a replacement 15-in-one media card reader (HP p/n 603395-001) by doing a Google or Bing search for an online vendor. You might consider reseating the connector for the card reader at the header on the motherboard.

Here is the search that I did. There is quite a spread on the prices asked. 

The part is not available from HP as the model is from 2010.

media card reader.png

Top Student
piverson
Message 9 of 16 (265 Views)

I wil give this a try with resetting the cable on the motherboard first.  But if that don't work, I will consider moving forward to purchasing a replacement of some type.  Much thanks for your direction on this.  Give me a week to check the connection on the motherboard!

Pete

Top Student
piverson
Message 10 of 16 (226 Views)

I completed the cable removal and reinstall as suggested.  I still believe the reader is defective as I have to play with the SD card while inserting it to get the multi-card reader to NOW read the card. But now that it can read it again I am still subject to limited things I can do.  I can copy and eject the card in the multi-card reader but that is about it.  Trying any other function gives me a msg that card is "locked" even though it's not.  Following info taken off of cable going to multi-card reader:

HP P/N 502216-001

HH P/N 35100JS00-GY0-G REV C

Vendor P/N 9801-0450509RZ

MG* 1044

Pete

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation