Accepted Solution

my left button on mouse not working

HID-compliant mouse SJ920MJ03802   REV A2 5 Windows 7

Intern
Mikester007
Message 2 of 18 (9,640 Views)

Re: my left button on mouse not working

First off welcome to the forums habby!

There could be many things wrong with your mouse for the left button to not work. I suggest possibly making sure there isn't anything stopping it from clicking (Dirt for instance). 

And if you have a warrenty I would return it, if not then buy a replacement. 

Mike

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did my post help? Hit the Kudos Star to the left to say "Thanks!"

Did I solve your question? Hit "Accept As Solution"!
Honor Student
kjfeathers
Message 3 of 18 (9,386 Views)

I too have this problem. It is not dirty and to make sure you all understand this, I have two hooked up a wired mouse and a wireless on which both worked great until yesterday.  Any virus or suggestion checks would be appreciated.

Student
masonsite
Message 4 of 18 (9,031 Views)

My left mouse button just quit working today, too.  Since it's a wireless mouse, I replaced the battery... no difference.  So for now, I have accessed the mouse controls in the Control Panel, Devices and Printers, and switched the button.  It's awkward, but now I can use the right button for what I used to use the left one for.  Of course, I can no longer "right click" something, but the left-click is used more often.

I looked at seeing if the button were dirty, too, but it appears clean.

I do wish I knew what the problem is.  HP techs, do you have any advice?!

Student
johnko
Message 5 of 18 (8,109 Views)

I have the same problem also- the left touchpad button has become inoperative.

Wired and wireless mouses work fine. The right button works as it should.

Tap to click also works. There is no dirt or physical problem with the button.

The touchpad lockout light is off. Updated all drivers and bios. Powered off

all sources, battery. Button does not operate it safe mode either. Problem

has occured on and off but now seems permanent.

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 6 of 18 (8,042 Views)

Hey johnko, 

I'm sorry that you're having this issue! Given the troubleshooting steps you've tried, it does seem very likely that it is permanent. It could be a model that you can replace the touchpad by itself on though. If you could let me know your product number, I could easily find out for you. Here are the steps to find your product number. FN + ESC is the quickest way to pull it up.

I'll keep an eye out for you reply :smileyhappy:

Student
AHMCRM
Message 7 of 18 (7,594 Views)

I fixed it! I think. Although partially broken, the left click button came off with minimal gentle prying. (A picture of an intact button would help to know which direction is best for prying). A five cent new replacement button would have been better. Once off, one can see how the click is activated. There is a tiny metal button switch. The switch is activated by a prong about 3/32" long on the bottom of the left click button. The trick is to keep the left click button level and just to press it in the center, to depress the metal button.  I rubber glued a piece sponge. The type sold to wash cars as it did was not used for a long time and still did not get hard. The piece I used was a little over 1/4" high. The button repositioned nicely into the computer. So far it works fine. I expect certian other types of packing material would work even better. 

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 8 of 18 (7,580 Views)

@AHMCRM Thanks for sharing this information. I hope that it will help others if they are running into a similar issue with the mouse button. The whole mouse (touchpad and buttons) piece is usually included with the Top Cover but some models may have it sold separately. I doubt that individual mouse buttons could be found anywhere other than sites like eBay. I would be very cautious of spending too much money on a part from eBay.

If anyone is running into this issue, provide your product number (by using the FN +ESC keys or looking at the label on the bottom of the computer) and I'll research to find out if the individual button can be purchased and/or if the mouse piece is included with the Top Cover of the chassis.

Student
wk13790
Message 9 of 18 (7,297 Views)

I have this same issue that seems to have started with a update a few weeks ago.  I tried both my HP comfort mice that I use on a number of laptops and it seems to be a software issue with Microsoft and HP on this Dell B130 laptop thats running XP.If I swap buttons the right side works just fine.  Come on Microsoft and HP,  which one of you is playing games with the software here???  Thanks for any assistance...

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 10 of 18 (7,249 Views)

Hey wk13790, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue. Have you tried updating the driver software yet? Or uninstalling and reinstalling the software?

Is the mouse having issues with just one laptop or all?

If you could let me know the product number (P/N) for the mouse, I could link you to the latest software for the mouse. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation