Question

Honor Student
kmh200
Message 1 of 4 (578 Views)
Accepted Solution

my monitor plug broke off of the motherboard on s5703w slimline, anyway to fix this?

Hello, My monitor plug broke off of the circuit board on the computer. It is a s5703w pavillion computer.  I can not see a way to fix this without replacing the board, which consist of the whole computer.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (573 Views)

Re: my monitor plug broke off of the motherboard on s5703w slimline, anyway to fix this?

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Yes, there is...Get a cheap video adapter.

For your video card you need a low profile card with a low profile mounting bracket, which works within the contraints of your 220W P/S.

This one should work just fine.  You will need to remove the regular profile bracket that the card comes with and replace with the low profile bracket included in the box.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127550

It goes in that longer black slot running parallel to the bottom of the picture below.

Image of motherboard

Below is the service manual if you need to see how to gain access to the inside of the PC.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01949721.pdf

This card comes with an HDMI out port which means you may lose your onboard video after you install it.

Should that happen, reboot the PC after you install the card and tap the F10 key to gain access to the BIOS.

Find the onboard audio setting. It will be set to either Auto or Disabled. Change the setting there to Enabled and hit the F10 key to save the setting, and again when you exit (save settings and exit).

When you restart the PC, the onboard audio should be restored.

Paul

Honor Student
kmh200
Message 3 of 4 (550 Views)

Re: my monitor plug broke off of the motherboard on s5703w slimline, anyway to fix this?

Thank you Paul,

I will give this a try. It looks like it may be a tight fit, but it is hard to tell how big the vidio card replacement is from their picture of it on the website.

Thanks again

Kevin

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (549 Views)

You're very welcome, Kevin.

You may be able to find video cards with thinner heat sinks if they come with a fan.

I am not a fan of fans :smileyhappy: because of the noise and the possibliliy of the fans going bad.

However on the plus side in a small case a fan may be more desirable to evacuate the hot air out of the case forcefully rather than passively.

Just make sure you get a low profile card with low profile brackets and one that won't blow out your power supply.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation