Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

@TAAA
They're special cylinder-head screws that you screw into the sides of the hard drive, 2 per side, 4 per drive. When you insert the drive they guide it along the proper path so it clicks into place securely. If you don't know what they look like, you can disconnect and partially remove your hard drive from its slot, then you'll see what I'm talking about. I haven't found anyplace to buy them online but would welcome a link, if anyone has one. However my local Mom & Pop computer store does computer repairs etc and they keep a good supply on hand. I don't know their exact name, size, dimensions, etc. If anyone knows, please post for all our benefits.

@Bofus
Please tell us the brand, model number, and location/link where you bought your second drive. If it was from HP, they may provide the screws with the drive. I have no idea whether other hard drive brands/sellers can/will do so. Maybe it's a standard item for mid-tower ATX computer cases (or whatever they're called), but I don't know. I'm not an expert.

This is a very old HP item! My old W98 and XP computers from Compaq/HP used the same kind of screws. I recall that the Compaq came with a dozen or so extra screws under the faceplate, but the newer HP/Compaq models apparently do not. My HP Envy Phoenix 800-060 came without any extra screws, and I'm very disappointed.

HP Recommended

Hello again,I have another hd laying around here a wd drive,there is a part# for this which is part#656329-001 I found out from HP but it comes with brackets also which makes it more money,I don't have my computer yet,I thought I would get the stuff I'm going to need 1st..,I see these screws on ebay that look like this,,mpfQxx5mfQ38ST3GEarOL6g.jpg

Do you think these would work?..Can't belive time spent on locating few screws...heh!

HP Recommended

There are several other threads on this subject in this HP forum. Here's one of them...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/dc7900-HD-Screws-Convertible-Minitower/td-p/1353891

It's apparently a perpetual problem with recent HP/Compaq computers which don't supply extra screws under the front cover, like the older models did. Apparently HP will only supply these OEM screws if you buy a hard drive from them. I tried and they refuse to sell them separately.

The all-graphics (no words) PDF instructions for mounting a hard drive in my HP Envy Phoenix 800-060 are incorrect. It does not look, nor work, the same as in their pictures.

Documentation of my model is very poor in general, for example there is no explanation of the special symbol keyboard keys. I had to go looking and found the same keyboard under a different computer model number, which explained the operation of most of those special keys. That keyboard is impossible to find elsewhere.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Drive was by Seagate.  The screws that came with the drive seemed to work well enough.

Regards,

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I found some information.   They are called HP 3.5” HDD M3 Grommet Screws.   They come 48 to the box and the HP part number is X9L44A6.  Here is a link to the information.

http://www8.hp.com/emea_middle_east/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=12528005#!tab=features

The cheapest I found was $18 for a box of 48. 

I think you can just go to your local hardware store and ask for M3 screws if you need just a few.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.