Re: need pci express card with firewire port for brand new computer (534 Views)
Honor Student
NoviceBill
Message 1 of 7 (554 Views)
Accepted Solution

need pci express card with firewire port for brand new computer

My wife just purchased a HP Pavilion model h8-1260t with Windows 7 64-bit.  She has a 30" Cinematic display monitor, which requires two USB ports, a DVI, and a 1394 Firewire port.  The new computer has no firewire port anywhere, but upon opening it, we see there are three PCIexpress slots available.  There are PCIe 1394 cards available (such as Rosewill PCIe 1394b Card 3 Ports Model RC-506E, as seen at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166027), but there seem to be a large variety, and I'm not sure which to purchase.

I'm concerned about which transfer speed to get (I really don't know; is 800Mbps good enough?), and what power connector will be on the card (I want to be sure we have a compatible power source plug), and I don't know the difference between 1394a and 1394b, or even if that makes a difference.  I can't just take the card out of the old computer because the firewire port is connected directly to the motherboard, and I think the old computer is pre-PCIexpress anyway

The monitor is very good, and pretty costly, so we really don't want to have to buy a new monitor after spending so much on the computer.  I thought I had checked for compatibility with everything, but I guess I missed the firewire requirement.  We spent most of the day today trying to get help at various stores, but nobody seems to be able to help.  We had to buy the computer online because there's no good computer stores nearby, so I want ot make sure I don't make another mistake and end up buying two or three cards until I happen across the correct one.

Thanks very much for any help

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 7 (552 Views)

Re: need pci express card with firewire port for brand new computer

Hi,

This Startech firewire PCI-E x1 card support both "A" and "B" firewire port types.  This card also requires additional power by using a 4 pin molex connector. Power supply connectors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
NoviceBill
Message 3 of 7 (538 Views)

Thank you, you've been very helpful.  I will just have to look to ensure that there is a 4-pin molex connector available from the power supply.  I would imagine there is, as we selected the upgraded power supply.  From the pictures available on the link you provided, it looks to be the "4-pin peripheral cable" capable of supplying +12V and +5V, where the four pins are all side-by-side, rather than two above and two below in a cube configuration. 

You don't know if these have been outdated, do you?  I think they're still at least used for fans, so perhaps I could use a Y-connector if I had to.  I'm just concerned because I don't remember seeing them last night when I had the computer case open (and I have to wait until tonight to look at it again; maybe I'm being paranoid), but of course I wasn't looking for them at the time.  There were lots of cables coming out of the power supply, and several free, but I don't remember the molex type.  Perhaps there will be an adaptor I'll need to find.

Thanks very much for your help.  It's a bit frustrating that all the stores seem to have left so there's nobody you can actually talk to who can physically show you what to purchase, and thsi stuff chages so fast that everything's different from the last time I had to do stuff like this.  However, we spent a lot of time in choosing a new computer, and I'm very happy to have online support like this.

Thanks again

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 7 (534 Views)

Hi,

If you can't find an unused 4 pin molex connector then look for a used 4 pin connector.  I certainly should be to find a Y adapter for you.  The other option is to use a SATA Y adapter plus molex and tap into the hard drive power cable or even use an unoccupied SATA power port.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
mhartste
Message 5 of 7 (521 Views)

Monoprice has a few options:

- http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10302&cs_id=1030203&p_id=2414&seq=1&for...

- http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10302&cs_id=1030201&p_id=157&seq=1&form...

I bought a different one from them last year, a PCI-Express card with one 1394a port and some additional USB2.0 ports.  It was their PID 3582, but they don't seem to carry it anymore.  Too bad, it works well for me, and I needed some more USB ports and just one Firewire port.

Honor Student
NoviceBill
Message 6 of 7 (516 Views)

Thanks for teh info.  I ordered one earlier today:  it came supplied with a SATA to molex-4 power cord adaptor

Honor Student
NoviceBill
Message 7 of 7 (514 Views)

Thanks very much for your help.  I selected a PCIe card that came equipped with a SATA to molex-4 adaptor.  By the way, the computer's power supply has a lot of free SATA cord, but no molex-4 at all.  It wasn't that long ago that I had one of these things all apart, but everything's different know.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation